From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] One Outsider's View
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 03:36:03
1 (I snipped out everything but what I plan on responding to, not because
2 your points were bad, but because I had nothing to add to them.)
3
4 On Mon, 2008-01-21 at 15:32 -0500, Dan Moulding wrote:
5 > Given these facts, a logical inference is that it is probably not best
6 > for the current leadership to decide what form the foundation should
7 > take in the future. This is because this decision, whether it will be
8 > to put the reins in the hands of the SFC or SPI or whatever, is a
9 > decision that has the potential to have a very serious and lasting
10 > impact on the community as a whole. The current leadership, by their
11 > own admission, seem to lack the track-record that would indicate their
12 > qualification to make such an important decision on behalf of the rest
13 > of the community.
14
15 Well, this is being discussed by the developer pool as a whole. We're
16 not only including current Foundation members, but also soliciting the
17 opinions of all developers, even those that have chosen not to join the
18 Foundation, as we feel that this is something that will have some
19 lasting effects on Gentoo as a whole. As such, "the current leadership"
20 isn't doing any decision-making. Rather, they're simply doing the work
21 to get things done, since their names are legally bound to the
22 Foundation and they and only they have the legal leg to stand on when it
23 comes to Foundation matters. I'm not really sure where you got the idea
24 that the Trustees have anything to do with "leading" Gentoo, but they do
25 not. The Gentoo Council is the elected leadership of Gentoo. The
26 Gentoo Foundation's Board of Trustees are elected to maintain and
27 protect Gentoo's intellectual property and assets (and nothing more).
28 It is *very* likely that this is going to change, but our current
29 thinking is more along the lines of "let's get this fixed, as is, then
30 we can make any changes we want once we're back on firm legal ground."
31 In this plan, we will be likely be using interim Trustees, such as
32 Grant, to complete the tasks required to become legal. Once those tasks
33 are completed, we are planning on running an election for a new Board of
34 Trustees. It makes no sense, at all, to bring in a completely new set
35 of people who have no idea what needs to be done to get us legal and for
36 it to take weeks to get up-to-speed when Grant is doing just fine,
37 currently. Also, Renat is helping and I have offered my services, as
38 well as several other Gentoo developers. We've got things covered for
39 the initial goal of being reinstated.
40
41 > To an independent observer, it seems the only solution is to first
42 > allow the foundation's members to elect a new board of trustees.
43
44 This seems counter-productive, as elections take 2 months (1 month
45 nominations, 1 month voting period). We could be already legal by then,
46 at our current rate.
47
48 > Although any newly-elected board might also not have a proven
49 > track-record, such a move would at least lend credence to the notion
50 > that the ultimate decision reflects the will of the community. Any
51 > actions taken prior to such an election, that would alter the course
52 > or composition of the foundation in a major way, would seem to be
53 > premature.
54
55 Realize that the "community" of the Foundation is only the Foundation
56 members. Even Gentoo developers who are not Foundation members actually
57 have no say in Foundation matters. Sure, they can voice their opinion,
58 but they don't have a vote, so to speak. We're listening to all
59 opinions, though, and are open to new ideas and suggestions. First, we
60 want to clean up our house a little before we try to sell it, if you
61 catch my meaning.
64 Chris Gianelloni
65 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
66 Games Developer