From: Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Thoughts on upcoming trustee elections
Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 17:13:03
Paul de Vrieze wrote:	[Sun May 01 2005, 04:56:48PM EDT]
> On Sunday 01 May 2005 10:13, Donnie Berkholz wrote: > > > > > Perhaps a voting method that regular people can actually understand > > intuitively would be more helpful. > > I agree completely that we don't want the debian voting system (whatever > called). I think it should have the following constraints: > - The preferred candidates get chosen > - Even if there are not enough candidates, bad ones shouldn't get chosen.
Satisfying these two points is the reason for using a Condorcet voting method instead of a plurality method. Say there are 5 people running for a position. 1 person gets 21% of the vote and 4 people split the remaining votes evenly. In that case, the 1 person gets elected in the plurality system, even if that person is deplored by 79% of the voters. The plurality system encourages people to vote for 1 of 2 parties, since they are aware that voting for their preferred party has no effect but to increase the chances of the worst candidate. For example, nobody ever votes for the Green party (U.S.) because they know they must vote for the Reps or Dems to get the lesser of two evils. The Condorcet method instead allows the candidate that is most preferred over the other candidates to win. Though it isn't instantly intuitive, it only takes a few minutes to understand how it works.
> - The process should be simple and transparent.
IMHO the Condorcet method is that, once you take a few minutes to read about it. However the only voting method people know intuitively is plurality. If the primary constraint for Gentoo elections is "It must be brainless" then you will never satisfy the first two constraints you mentioned, even if you intuitively think you are. Regards, Aron -- Aron Griffis Gentoo Linux Developer