From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt@××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Tax return and accounting discrepancies
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 18:31:13
1 On Fri, 2011-03-25 at 20:36 +1300, Alistair Bush wrote:
2 >
3 > I know absolutely nothing of how the IRS operates so hopefully these questions
4 > are appropriate.
5
6 For any non US citizen, or in general. Please keep in mind, the IRS
7 website is public, and can be researched just as one would any technical
8 matter.
9
10 Its not complete, but does cover a good deal of territory in this
11 matter.
12 http://www.irs.gov/charities/article/0,,id=221600,00.html
13
14 > When you state that there will not be "serious consequences", is this
15 > personal opinion or based on law/irs policy. I would assume that IRS would
16 > have the power to confiscate all assets of gentoo and "close us down" in the
17 > worse case. Would you be able to give an indication of what "serious
18 > consequences" might entail. I'm assuming it will be a financial penalty that
19 > we are currently able to afford. Your personal opinion on this is sufficient but
20 > if you can give a range (ie < 5000) it would be apprieciated.
21
22 To my understanding, Gentoo would simply be treated as a for profit
23 entity, subject to back taxes on any revenue of any amount. Usually when
24 you have back taxes owed, there are some penalties, fines, can be
25 interest as well.
26
27 Its pretty extreme for the IRS to take any action beyond that. I am not
28 aware of them ceasing assets though that likely has happened to others
29 before in very different circumstances. For the most part they would
30 just run you into the ground, bankrupt you, and make sure any money owed
31 was paid back. Usually by draining bank accounts directly, but not
32 ceasing assets. They won't close your bank account, just empty it ;)
33
34 > Also, is there any visibility on the steps that need to be completed and
35 > estimated timelines for when each step may be completed. I realise that
36 > timelines could be very difficult to give and even harder to meet but it seems
37 > very important that we do. Would it be possible to allocate funding to speed
38 > this process along. where is the bottleneck? is it us? the US mail service?
39 > IRS/Goverment Bureaucracy?
40
41 The IRS is slow, but you can prod them, and an experienced CPA or
42 otherwise in this matter, should be able to deal with most things
43 relatively quickly. Though most anything dealing with the government is
44 slow. But the IRS really is not bad, if you do things correctly.
47 William L. Thomson Jr.
48 Obsidian-Studios, Inc.
49 http://www.obsidian-studios.com