From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentooo 501(c) accounting
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2016 22:04:16
1 On Wed, Dec 07, 2016 at 03:24:05PM -0500, james wrote:
2 > I think gentoo is under a social contract limits our use options to
3 > FOSS accounting packages. Perhaps someone more knowledgable with itemize
4 > the restrictions gentoo is under for it's 501(c)3 needs.
5 We've a (c)(6), not a (c)(3).
6
7 > Here's a shocker from an IRS doc::
8 This is not a shock, and has been known and discussed by the Foundation
9 trustees for many many years.
10
11 > "The organization must not be organized or operated for the benefit of
12 > private interests" [1] That basically is a very general statement, open
13 > to vast interpretation; whether it's a problem for gentoo, remains to be
14 > seen.
15 The variation does apply for (c)(6),
16 The IRS does provide some insight:
17 https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/eotopick03.pdf
18 | IRC 501(c)(6) provides for exemption of business leagues, chambers of
19 | commerce, real estate boards, boards of trade, and professional football
20 | leagues (whether or not administering a pension fund for football
21 | players), which are not organized for profit and no part of the net earnings of
22 | which inures to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual.
23
24 Further reading aimed at (c)(3), but VERY relevant still:
25 https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/eotopicc90.pdf
26 This breaks down 'inures', 'benefit', 'private shareholder/individual'.
27 An excerpt regarding 'inures':
28 | (1) An individual is not entitled to unjustly enrich himself at the
29 | organization's expense.
30 | (2) Benefits directed to an individual as a member of a charitable class
31 | do not constitute unjust enrichment.
32 Includes citations of case law in both for and against judgements.
35 > I think someone more knowledgeable than myself should post the
36 > restrictions and guidance document reference, if any, that constrain and
37 > guide gentoo in matter of GAAP, 501(c)3 and it foundational
38 > organization, before an accounting packages is agreed up. Perhaps this
39 > just a good idea to vet
40 > how these critical charity records are maintained and disseminated.
41 > Some states may have additional statues and rules.
42 I've not yet run into statutes from New Mexico that apply to our
43 non-profit status, other than how to file in New Mexico, saying we must
44 comply with federal laws (and local bylaws if we have a physical
45 presence).
46
47 > The corporation papers were filed in Maryland, right? If not, what
48 > state where the papers filed in?
49 We are incorporated as non-profit in New Mexico, and HAVE maintained
50 annual state filings there appropriately.
53 Robin Hugh Johnson
54 Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Trustee & Treasurer
55 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
56 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
57 GnuPG FP : 7D0B3CEB E9B85B1F 825BCECF EE05E6F6 A48F6136