From: James Laslavic <squarebottle@×××××.com>
To: gibbonsr-ml@××××××××××××××××××.com
Cc: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] drobbins, leadership, etc.
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 23:14:59
1 A lot of people are talking about how "There shouldn't just be one
2 person!" Well, couple things.
3
4 The biggest issue that these people have forgotten is that as it is
5 right now, there is only one trustee. All the others have retired or
6 been AWOL for a while now, and the same goes for the rest of the
7 foundation, pretty much.
8
9 And if being democratic is the big goal, then don't forget that the
10 community overwhelmingly supports his return.
11
12 If you want to create a system of checks and balances, then great! Bring
13 your ideas to the table when we have enough people showing up to pass
14 this kind of legislation! But right now, we've got to face the facts:
15
16 1) Things are not getting done.
17 2) Gentoo is losing developers.
18 3) Potential developers are choosing not to join.
19 4) The current Gentoo foundation has had several months to fix all the
20 above.
21 5) Daniel Robbins offering to come back is not happening out of the blue
22 because "he feels like he wants power," but is happening in response to
23 the dire situation painted by the above issues.
24
25 There are developers who want to see him return, and there are
26 developers that don't. This is normal. However, take a look at the
27 numbers. The people that stayed when he left will likely consist of
28 people that don't want to see him return because, after all, the reason
29 they didn't leave with him is because they weren't on his side then. As
30 such, it's not really very representative of anything, as any pollster
31 or statistician can tell you. When you look at the entire Gentoo
32 community though including all the developers that left back then and
33 all the developers that do not want to join the current Gentoo, it
34 overwhelmingly supports Daniel Robbins' return.
35
36 I wish I could see some people be mature and say, "You know, I
37 personally don't think this is the best idea, but the community seems to
38 think it knows better, so I'm not going to try to block the whole
39 community."
40
41 Also note that technically, Daniel Robbins already owns all the
42 trademarks and stuff again because when the charter was revoked, all
43 contracts and stuff (such as the transfer of rights) was legally
44 nullified. He's pretty much just being polite by asking.
45
46 In any case, whatever you believe should happen, we can all agree that a
47 decision must be reached somehow. Debate is healthy, but we need a way
48 of officially deciding what will happen. Perhaps an organized election?
49 I mean, how do you want to do this? It's got to be done sometime (unless
50 you're trying to filibuster all this of course, which would just be lame).
51
52 Sincerely,
53 Square Bottle
54 www.visualflavor.org
57 gibbonsr-ml@××××××××××××××××××.com wrote:
58 > Why does one person have to be the Dictator. We need a single governing
59 > body, but `body` doesn't have to mean one person
60 >
61 > Have the council do what they do, manage the devs, but have the council
62 > report the foudnation. Foundation members should be assigned areas and
63 > required to attend everything with area, basically a part of that
64 > board. So the council actually has one or two members in the
65 > foundation, the userrel actually has one or two members in the
66 > foundation. They report to the overall group what is going on in gentoo.
67 >
68 > If Daniel wants the join the foundation / trustee's, then great, let him
69 > do it from there with a team of people.
72 > ----- Original Message -----
73 > From: "Senno During" <senno.during@×××××.com>
74 > To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
75 > Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2008 4:44:33 PM (GMT-0600) America/Chicago
76 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] drobbins, leadership, etc.
77 >
78 > this is my feeling too. So far drobbins has given an option. i have
79 > heard good things about it, and bad things about it. Though, no
80 > alternative is known to me. i hope to hear about one soon!
81 >
82 > i also believe there will always be devs/users (are pretty important
83 > too i think!) that are not going to be happy with the choice that is
84 > going to be made.
85 >
86 > i do feel that Gentoo, currently, needs a sort of dictator, like Linux
87 > with Torvalds. Of course, you always hope for the right choice and right
88 > ideas from the leader then. But no decisions being made by a group, just to
89 > prevent a dictator style, doesn't sound right to me either.
90 >
91 > Senno During
92 >