From: Tom Gall <tgall@g.o>
To: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Spending money authority
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 00:45:52
1 Greets,
2
3 On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 12:48 PM, Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o> wrote:
5 > Hash: SHA1
6 >
7 > On 2008.06.12 15:34, Richard Freeman wrote:
8 >>
9 >> Currently they are essentially the same. However, the reason I bring
10 >> this up is that there is some debate over whether the foundation
11 >> membership should be substantially expanded beyond just gentoo devs
12 >> (possibly including end-users, or those willing to pay a membership
13 >> fee
14 >> of some sort). These kinds of situations could lead to the sorts of
15 >> conflicts I'd like to avoid, as now you have two boards with
16 >> different
17 >> agendas in charge of aspects of the same project.
18
19 Indeed.
20
21 As a trustee I've taken the position that current gentoo devs should
22 be the only ones that make up members of the foundation.
23
24 However I am still listening to both side of the coin so I could be
25 convinced otherwise.
26
27 There's a reason why it's called a DRAFT. We'll hopefully work
28 something out that while it might not be perfect in all eyes,
29 hopefully it is something reasonable to most if not all AND in the
30 best interest of the project.
31
32 >> gentoo-nfp@l.g.o mailing list
35 > The constituencies are not the same but today, under the draft bylaws,
36 > they are diverging. That is something the trustees need to fix in the
37 > first formal adoption of bylaws.
38 >
39 > To vote in a council election, developers must have been developers for
40 > a year (from memory). Thus the council represents the views of that
41 > group of developers. Also, only developers may serve as councilors.
42 >
43 > To qualify to vote in a trustee election, the electorate is formed from
44 > foundation member and those eligible to become a foundation member.
45 > At present, you become a foundation member by voting in a trustee
46 > election. To be an eligible non-member, you need to have been a
47 > developer for a year. Read that a few times, its a little circular.
48 >
49 > This means that the foundation represents its members who are all the
50 > dev's who have ever voted in an election. Only foundation members may
51 > serve as trustees.
52 >
53 > Under present draft bylaws foundation membership never lapses so such
54 > famous past developers as drobbins (our first president) have votes and
55 > could become trustees. Thus under present draft bylaws the foundation
56 > becomes more representative of members who are ex devs, simply because
57 > one day, ex devs members will outnumber active dev members.
58
59 This is one of those things that is problematic. It's like letting
60 your ex girlfriend keep the key to your apartment.
61
62 > Note that elegible active devs who have never voted in a trustee
63 > election are not foundation members.
64
65 Regards,
66
67 Tom