From: Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] [RFC] Bylaws change: removing retired developers by default
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2018 07:38:24
1 On Fri, Jun 1, 2018 at 11:41 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > W dniu pią, 01.06.2018 o godzinie 13∶23 -0700, użytkownik Raymond
3 > Jennings napisał:
4 >> On Fri, Jun 1, 2018 at 11:35 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
5 >> > Hello,
6 >> >
7 >> > As my second Bylaws change proposal, I would like to integrate
8 >> > Foundation membership closer with our retirement procedures. I would
9 >> > like the retired developers to be removed from Foundation by default,
10 >> > unless they explicitly ask to stay. That way, we won't have to 'clean
11 >> > up' inactive developers twice.
12 >> >
13 >> > The main idea would be that since Recruiters inform (or should inform)
14 >> > new developers that they can join the Foundation now, I think it would
15 >> > also be reasonable for undertakers to appropriately ask retired
16 >> > developers if they would like to continue their Foundation activity,
17 >> > and inform Trustees of the retirement otherwise.
18 >> >
19 >> > I'm not sure how to integrate it into Bylaws. However, I'd like to know
20 >> > your opinion on the idea.
21 >>
22 >> My opinion opposes this idea.
23 >>
24 >> "default fail" is not a good policy.
25 >>
26 >> What if there's a technical issue? What if they can't respond for some reason?
27 >
28 > Technical issue preventing them from giving a simple reply within six
29 > months?
30 >
31 >> I'd just leave well enough alone and keep it a separate issue.
32 >>
33 >> And I do not think that retirement as a developer (staff or ebuild or
34 >> otherwise) is a good reason to soft-remove a developer from foundation
35 >> membership barring an objection.
36 >>
37 >> At present, if they voted in time they have cause to stay as a member,
38 >> and if they're already inactive as a voter then they're already
39 >> subject to removal anyway.
40 >>
41 >> I don't think we need to make it easier for foundation members to
42 >> retire through inaction. This just makes a loophole that a foundation
43 >> member could trip over by accident. In my opinion, since they can
44 >> already be removed by failing to vote, automatically removing a
45 >> retired developer unless they object is redundant.
46 >>
47 >> Also, I do not think that it's wise to make assumptions like this on
48 >> behalf of foundation members, that they want to be removed unless they
49 >> say otherwise.
50 >>
51 >> Plus there's always the chance that something screwy happens and they
52 >> get removed against their will. What if they're busy? What if their
53 >> email bounces? There are contingencies, and I don't see a reason to
54 >> invite Murphy's law into this.
55 >
56 > Gentoo provides e-mail service to developers. Bugzilla mail is single
57 > most important kind of mail developers receive. If they don't receive
58 > Bugzilla mail for six months, then they're supposed to notice that.
59 >
60 > --
61 > Best regards,
62 > Michał Górny
65 That may be, but I still oppose this motion on non technical grounds
66 that I have already cited. The technical issues are only some of the
67 ones I raised. There are others.