From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Logo and Trademark Licensing
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 05:59:40
1 Matthew Summers wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > Pursuant to the recent board meeting, I am writing to begin discussion
5 > regarding the licensing of the Gentoo "g" logo and associated "GENTOO"
6 > trademark for use by the community, for non-commercial and personal
7 > purposes as well as discuss strategy in dealing with commercial of
8 > both. This discussion will include use by derivative distributions
9 > based in part on Gentoo as well as Gentoo itself.
12 > At this time, the board is generally amenable to allowing free use by
13 > the community for non-commercial, private, personal use while taking
14 > due consideration on a case by case basis for any commercial use by
15 > dealing directly with the potential licensee. This is in line with
16 > current precedent in the free and open source community at large.
17 >
18 > Further there needs to be some discussion as to how we can best
19 > demarcate official Gentoo media and items where necessary to prevent
20 > confusion and/or the unintentional conveyance of support.
21 >
22 > Please let the board know your thoughts and ideas on these matters as
23 > we seek to reach a decision soon.
24 >
25 > Thank you and best regards,
26 > Matthew
29 I don't recall what list it was but I brought this up on one of them
30 when Gentoo set up a profile on Google+ or whatever it is called. There
31 was 3 or 4 profiles that was using the Gentoo logo. I'm still not sure
32 which is the TRUE Gentoo profile. While I think it being used is a good
33 idea since Gentoo is open and all, it can also be a bad thing because it
34 causes confusion.
35
36 My question is this, when someone does what I described above on a
37 social site, how is Gentoo going to make sure people know which is the
38 TRUE Gentoo profile/page and which is done by someone else just using
39 Gentoo's logo?
40
41 Dale
42
46 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!
47
48 Miss the compile output? Hint:
49 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"