From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Cc: trustees@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] Draft Foundation By Laws
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 21:57:31
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 All,
5
6 Danger Will Robinson, Long Rambling Post Ahead.
7
8 The story so far. The Foundation Bylaws have been through several
9 drafts for several reasons. There is a set
10 http://www.gentoo.org/foundation/en/bylaws.xml which were drafted for
11 the original incorporation in New Mexico.
12
13 Subsequently rl03 (and maybe others?) modified this draft to be
14 suitable for incorporation in Delaware. At this time there was also
15 some good work done to update the Bylaws to reflect the way Gentoo
16 really works.
17
18 Incorporation in Delaware was not followed through as the incumbent
19 trustees began examining the options with umbrella organisations like
20 the SFC.
21
22 Now we are in the process of restoring our good standing in New Mexico
23 and the Bylaws need more work to complete that.
24
25 As I'm not familiar with US law, I have taken the Draft Bylaws produced
26 by rl03 and pasted in some of the New Mexico statutes from
27 http://xrl.us/bjevt. This is a 30 page work in progress available as a
28 Open Office or PDF document in my dev space.
29
30 Reading through this combination document, looking at the law and the
31 Bylaws, I have the following questions:-
32
33 Meetings of Members.
34 The various statutes, (which are quite old) infer physical meetings.
35 e.g. 53-8-13. Meetings of members.
36 A.     Meetings of members shall be held at such place, either within
37 or without New Mexico as may be provided in the bylaws. In the absence
38 of any such provision, all meetings shall be held at the registered
39 office of the corporation in New Mexico.
40
41 How does the concept of an Annual Meeting to elect Trustees sit with
42 our voting process?
43 Would we get away with opening the meeting, calling for nominations
44 then adjourning for a month to allow the two week nomination process and
45
46 two week vote process to happen?
47
48 53-8-16. Quorum.
49 With virtual meetings, and virtual voting how can we demonstrate we
50 have a quorum. At physical meetings, attendees are counted entering the
51 meeting room. They may not vote later in the meeting but their presence
52 is all that matters for a meeting to be quorate.
53
54 The draft bylaws state Section 3.10 and 3.11:-
55 "A member may vote either in person or by proxy executed in writing by
56 the member or his or her duly authorized attorney-in-fact."
57 We need to disallow proxies unless someone knows how it could be
58 enforced with our voting system and/or on IRC.
59
60 "Section 4.2. Full Members. To be eligible for membership as a full
61 member, a person must hold full developer privileges and remain in good
62 standing with the project for a probationary period of no less than one
63 calendar year."
64 Needs to be clarified - what is "full developer privileges"?
65 Do non ebuild developers qualify ?
66 This is important to me personally as I am not an ebuild developer.
67
68 Section 5.4. Number. ... fix this section to include the original 13
69 Trustees as we are back in New Mexico.
70
71 Section 7.1. Books and Records.
72 The law requires "Each corporation shall keep at its registered office
73 or principal office in New Mexico a record of the names and addresses
74 of its members entitled to vote."
75 Our Bylaw says
76 "The foundation shall keep at its registered office or principal place
77 of business, or at the office of its transfer agent or registrar, or in
78 the custody of the Secretary a record of the name, address, telephone
79 number, and electronic mail address of each member, together with the
80 date of any withdrawal or termination of such member's membership"
81 Why telephone number?
82 "or in the custody of the Secretary" is not permitted by the law.
83
84 9. Article IX
85 Corporate Seal
86 The law says "failure to have or to affix a corporate seal does not
87 affect the validity of any instrument or any action taken in pursuance
88 thereof or in reliance thereon"
89
90 So we don't need a corporate seal, so why have one?
91
92 My other concerns, expressed earlier appear to have been addressed in
93 this draft.
94
95 Other points for discussion.
96 I'm not overly happy with the complex way Foundation membership is tied
97 to being a developer in good standing.
98
99 I would like to see the Foundation membership period after resignation
100 extending for a year. Really until the next Trustee elections. Trustees
101 are hard to come by and I would not not to lose one mid term will
102 little handover. That's just features for discussion.
103
104 Longer Term - after the Bylaws are adopted
105 <dons flameproof jacket>
106 I would like to see Gentoo community members from outside the developer
107 pool serving the Foundation. That's possible under the law now, as
108 Officers can be appointed by Trustees and Officers of the Foundation
109 need not be Foundation members.
110
111 To ensure continuity when Trustees are rotated I would like to see that
112 only half the Trustees are replaced at any election.
113 </dons flameproof jacket>
114
115 Anyway, that's a few ideas for later ...
116
117 - --
118 Regards,
119