From: Brad Cowan <bcowan@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-nfp]
Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 02:31:25
1 On Sun, 2005-05-08 at 19:02 +0200, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > On Sunday 08 May 2005 17:36, Brad Cowan wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > I'd like to be considered in the voting for a trustee position. A
6 > > particular interest would be in the form of funding and the possibility
7 > > of grants based on recommendations of a "steering committee" if that
8 > > model gets approved.
9 >
10 > What do you mean by grants? Maybe I should add that the foundation by no means
11 > is rich, and financially most if not allmost all money not spend on legal
12 > fees should be saved for future legal fees and a reserve.
13 >
14 > Paul
17 Yes, I understand the current budget situation, these are longer term
18 goals. I'm interested in ways to increase our funding to go above and
19 beyond self sufficient. Spending all our funds on general expenses and
20 saving all the excess for legal expenses and a reserve for possibly more
21 legal defense leaves no room for things like research and development or
22 overall improvements. I know these last two things depend on the having
23 more funding coming in than going out, which is what we should be
24 striving for in my honest opinion. Just because we're a non-profit
25 doesn't mean all our funds need to be for legal issues or our focus as
26 trustees needs to be towards legalities does it?
27
28 As for the grants, I'm not talking about huge sums of money here. For
29 example the trustees decide that they would like to start a $500 overall
30 improvement grant (could even be $10...the amount is trivial), they
31 would then ask the steering committee to decide which area needed the
32 most improvement and would write up a set of criteria or goals they
33 would like to see accomplished with this grant. The trustees would then
34 enact this grant based on the recommendations of the steering committee.
35 The steering committee would then judge which party should receive the
36 grant based on all criteria being met and the best model that represents
37 their goals. This separates the trustees from making the actual
38 developmental decisions or goals that the steering committee should be
39 making, but still allowing for contributions towards the overall well
40 being of the distro.
41
42 Anyway I'm just scribbling random thoughts, thanks for listening.
45 Brad Cowan <bcowan@g.o>
46 Developer,
47 Gentoo Linux http://www.gentoo.org/~bcowan
48
49 Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xB1F16A56
50 Key fingerprint = C408 75B9 E68D 26E2 EAAE 20CF 4D5E 293D B1F1 6A56