From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Please communicate with us verses blogging at us
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 06:38:40
1 On Mon, 2008-01-21 at 22:10 -0800, Square Bottle wrote:
2 >
3 > >since it seems like most of the developers felt
4 > threatened and got defensive (the sheer number of "There is nothing
5 > wrong, the media is all wrong, nothing is wrong, okay maybe a little
6 > bit is wrong but we were fixing it a year ago, but the media blew it
7 > all out of proportion, and really, everything is fine, nothing to see
8 > here!" posts that I've seen has been amusingly high, to say the
9 > least).
10
11 I guess it's not clear that we were working on/discussing this problem
12 internally. Because we were aware how things would be perceived. Once
13 there was a leak, you can see the result. Mountain out of a mole hill.
14
15 Not that I am proud of it, but I did kinda start all this recently.
16 There was a reason I took it to -core, verses other public lists. With
17 full intention on being transparent on -nfp once things were in order.
18
19 > everybody still owes him a thank
20 > you for starting the project in the first place at the very least.
21
22 Been there done that. Made this post
23 http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_143151.xml
24
25 Which turned into flames, ended up being referenced on distrowatch.com,
26 and likely others. With a quote from a one of the postings in the
27 thread :(
28 http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20070312#future
31 Drama then, and drama now. We really don't need it. It does nothing for
32 productivity or moving things forward. Due to past lesson learned, tried
33 to resolve this internally, before it was blown out of proportion
34 externally.
37 William L. Thomson Jr.
38 Gentoo/amd64/Java