From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Question for Trustee Candidates
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2020 07:49:29
1 On 2020.07.18 01:50, Matthew Thode wrote:
2 > On 20-07-17 21:41:30, Roy Bamford wrote:
3 > > Team,
4 > >
5 > > The responses so far raise a further questions.
6 > >
7 > > The Foundation currently has 74 members, not all of whom can serve
8 > as trustees.
9 > > The board consists of 5 members.
10 > >
11 > > It follows that the board must consist of about 7% of the
12 > membership.
13 > > I'll go on to suggest that 7% is an unreasonably large proportion of
14 > the membership
15 > > required to serve on the board of our own legal entity.
16 > >
17 > > As supporting evidence, I'll cite the lack of competition for seats
18 > on the board
19 > > over the last 12 years.
20 > >
21 > > How do the candidates that favour maintaining our own legal entity
22 > intend to attract
23 > > a) more members?
24 > > b) members willing and able to serve as trustees?
25 > >
26 > > --
27 > > Regards,
28 > >
29 > > Roy Bamford
30 > > (Neddyseagoon) a member of
31 > > elections
32 > > gentoo-ops
33 > > forum-mods
34 > > arm64
35 >
36 > I would suggest an alternative, we could reduce down to 3 trustees.
37 >
38 > Attracting members is hard, especially those that want to particiate.
39 > I'd suggest sending an email to the dev mailing list, maybe once a
40 > year
41 > (in May, before the roll call before the election). The email would
42 > specify why one should join (and why one should not join).
43 >
44 > --
45 > Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)
49 Any incorporated entity is governed by the board of directors.
50 The work of running the entity is carried out by the officers
51 appointed by the board.
52
53 Anyone 'capable of discharging their duties' may serve as an
54 officer.
55
56 The distinction has become blurred in the case of the Gentoo
57 Foundation because trustees also serve as officers.
58
59 The problem then is finding officers, more that finding trustees.
60 While the same individuals serve both roles, reducing the number
61 of trustees increases the risk of things not being done.
62
63 Its not less trustees that are required, its more officers, not
64 drawn from the membership, that is required.
67 Regards,
68
69 Roy Bamford
70 (Neddyseagoon) a member of