From: Yuri Vasilevski <yvasilev@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] Software in Public Interest, cont...
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 17:27:10
1 Hello,
2
3 My apologies for not continuing the previous thread, but at the time
4 the replays to my previous message where sent, I was not subscribed to
5 this list.
6
7 Back to the issue, taking into account the corrections that Ferris
8 McCormick kindly added and the positivism I sensed in his response, I
9 talked with Bdale Garbee regarding us, Gentoo Fundation, joining the
10 SPI and discussed the previous e-mail I sent as well as fmccor's replay.
11
12 Basically the response I got was a confirmation on everything Luk Glass
13 has told me before (my first e-mail), and he went a little bit more in
14 detail regarding the legal services they can provide:
15
16 bdale: there is a lawyer in a firm in New York who provides pro-bono
17 services to SPI, the most recent thing his firm did was to give us an
18 opinion on the licensing of thumbnails of game screen snapshots
19 bdale: we have a relationship with the SFLC and can help get their
20 attention on project issues in the past, when we have had legal issues
21 in other countries, including Spain and Brazil that I remember, we have
22 been able to find and use lawyers in those countries who helped us
23 solve problems there on a pro-bono basis
24 bdale: we do not have a "magic list" of lawyers around the world, but
25 SPI has a good reputation and our associated projects have friends all
26 over the world, so we can usually find some help to address problems
27 almost anywhere we need to
28
29 He also mentioned:
30
31 bdale: the only caution I would provide is that the legal assistance
32 available is not an infinitely deep well of resources. we have a
33 pro-bono legal council in the USA, we have relationships with some
34 lawyers in other countries like Spain and Brazil that are willing to
35 help us and our associated projects with occasional issues in those
36 countries, and we have a relationship with the SFLC where we can help
37 get their attention focused on a problem of an associated project
38 bdale: as long as that is understood, I think we would be happy
39 to have Gentoo as an associated project, and to make our services
40 available to the Gentoo community
41
42 And he already talked with a couple other board members and they both
43 agree that it'd be great to have Gentoo as an associated project.
44
45 So I think that we really should approach them for our inclusion. I was
46 told that the process should be the following, we need to let them know
47 that we would like to join with a specific one person contact address
48 and they post info about us to a "private" list (all contributing
49 members can discuss about our inclusion) and about 3 weeks later they
50 have a vote on the board and send us a formal invitation for joining.
51
52 Kindest regards,
53 Yuri.