From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] Gentoo Foundation bank account
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 02:49:51
1 Over the past several weeks, and possible months. The Gentoo Foundation
2 board of trustees has been discussing a bit on IRC and in direct private
3 emails, the available banking options for Gentoo. Starting with the more
4 major institutions like Chase, Citi, Bank of America, and Wells Fargo.
5
6 The first issue we ran into was that no one lives in New Mexico. Some
7 banks require a branch be within 50 miles from registered address.
8 Others any address in the same state. Neither of which was a major road
9 block. Until both required that we physically go into a branch to sign
10 papers and open an account. Being that no Officer lives in New Mexico.
11 That is not a practical option. Which ruled out both Chase and Citi.
12 Chase required 50 miles, Citi within the state.
13
14 Now Bank of America seemed to be a viable options with their online
15 application. But a call to Bank of America reveals a few things. First
16 that the application process could not be fully completed online. Second
17 that all officers would have to go into a branch to sign final paper
18 work. Third, Bank of America California is on a different system than
19 Bank of America in all other states. So if we needed to do anything in
20 California, where the foundation treasurer currently resides. We could
21 not. Bank of America really is not an option at all.
22
23 So far Wells Fargo is the only bank that will allow us to open an
24 account remotely. With no one going to New Mexico. Plus they have
25 branches in other states. We could visit and use for any business,
26 including changing signers or officers on the account. Not to mention
27 Wells Fargo seems to be best positioned for accounts where one or more
28 of the officers are not US Citizens. However Wells Fargo does require
29 any international officers have a US Federal ITIN (International Tax ID
30 Number ) and provide a photo ID, license or passport.
31
32 Unfortunately our current president lacks a photo ID atm, ETA is like
33 6-8 weeks for that, 4-6 weeks for ITIN. Applications can overlap time
34 wise. Or another direction, we can remove him as an officer, remaining
35 as just a board member. Which board oversees officers. So just a paper
36 change.
37
38 We were proceeding with Wells Fargo. I had called them, provided
39 Foundation and personal info to get the account application underway.
40 Which it still is but will expire on the 8th. We have not committed to
41 proceeding with Wells Fargo, and frankly seem to still be shopping
42 around.
43
44 Which is where we are at. We are opening this up to the community.
45 Firstly for transparency. But secondly to get input and suggestions fro
46 the community. Other banks we haven't tried etc.
47
48 We did bring up and consider an international bank account outside US
49 borders. But not sure how practical that will be.
50
51 Also there are some issues with any bank account, and officer turn over.
52 We would not only have to update filings with the state. But with the
53 bank as well. Which might require two people to physically go into a
54 location/branch. To prove they are the existing signer, and to pass on
55 authority to another.
56
57 So turn over wrt to the bank account is likely going to be a PITA. Thus
58 something needs to be discuss, done, etc wrt to Officer terms. I think
59 some of that might be in the new bylaws. If not, will likely have to add
60 a revision soon.
61
62 While several on the board felt this was a far off scenario. It looks
63 like we have a current board member ( maybe two 2nd being me )
64 resigning. So this scenario of officer turn over, is not so unlikely or
65 far off.
66
67 Anyway that is were we are at. Really no where, other than ruling out
68 options. We can proceed with Wells Fargo but there is work to be done.
69 Much less time to obtain Photo ID and ITIN which we can't expedite.
70
71 I am at like 10+ hours into this, and really almost at my max time wise.
72 Before we must start showing some progress. Otherwise I consider the
73 time a total waste. If the final goal is not accomplished. We have spun
74 the tires, flung the mud, etc. Hopefully we will get it resolved sooner
75 than later.
76
77 We are pretty open at this time. What ever it takes, and with any bank.
78 So long as we can get a bank account for Gentoo ASAP. No point in
79 gathering or planning to spend $. If we have no where to store or
80 distribute it. Can't even do much atm with PayPal till we get a bank
81 account on file with them again.
82
83 Really stuck, and if the community can help bail us out. That's what
84 it's all about :) If not, guess we will have to bite the bullet with
85 Wells Fargo and might have an account with them in a few months.
88 William L. Thomson Jr.
89 amd64/Java/Trustees
90 Gentoo Foundation