From: Doug Freed <dwfreed@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Re: PGP fingerprints of Foundation members (item for Trustees meeting)
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2017 04:15:26
1 On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 12:09 AM, Matthew Thode
2 <prometheanfire@g.o> wrote:
3 > On 17-08-04 05:51:38, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
4 >> > > >Apparently, the Foundation only has a list of PGP key IDs in
5 >> > > >https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Foundation:Member_List. Even worse, most
6 >> > > >IDs listed there are only 32 bit IDs, providing no security at all.
7 >> > > >
8 >> > > >I would like to ask the Foundation to keep a list with the (160 bit)
9 >> > > >PGP fingerprints of its members. (For developers, this information
10 >> > > >should be readily available in LDAP.)
11 >> > > >
12 >> > > >Ulrich
13 >> >
14 >> > What do we need to prove?
15 >> >
16 >> > That the the key belongs to a given individual or just that the key on the
17 >> > vote is the same as the key used for the membership application.?
18 >> >
19 >>
20 >> That the key on the vote is the same as the key used for the membership
21 >> application.
22 >>
23 >> This is impossible without the full fingerprint.
24 >> And with only the short keyid it's trivial to hack.
25 >>
26 >> --
27 >> Andreas K. Hüttel
28 >> dilfridge@g.o
29 >> Gentoo Linux developer (council, perl, libreoffice)
32 > I think we should just record the full key id, would we still need to
33 > also have the fingerprint in that case?
34 >
35 > --
36 > Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)
37
38 64 bit key IDs can still be duplicated. It's not as easy, but it is
39 doable. K_F has a nice blog post on why you really should be checking
40 full fingerprint:
41 https://blog.sumptuouscapital.com/2016/08/openpgp-duplicate-keyids-short-vs-long/
42
43 -Doug