From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Reconsider the license of the "g" logo (item for Trustees meeting)
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2016 22:10:00
1 TL;DR:
2 1. Move artwork to CC-BY v4
3 2. update name/logo page to say 'trademark licensing'
4
5 On Mon, Nov 07, 2016 at 03:20:00PM +0100, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
6 > tl;dr Consider relicensing the blue "g" logo [1] and the red "gentoo"
7 > logo [2] under CC-BY-SA-2.5 (or 3.0).
8 This didn't get fully discussed by Trustees in the November meeting due
9 to running out of time and then been non-quorate, however I would like
10 to make some points.
11
12 I was the trustee that originally proposed the Sampling-Plus license,
13 during the 2010/07/18 meeting, after a discussion with my contacts in
14 the Creative Commons organization.
15
16 The key goals in the in the original licensing discussion/decision (in
17 no specific order, they are inter-related):
18 - protect our trademark rights (so we don't lose the trademark)
19 - allow authorized commercial use of the mark
20 - protect against unauthorized commercial use of the mark
21 - permit the community to still use the marks to identify
22 services-for-gentoo
23 - permit the community to use the marks in artwork freely, even if they
24 then sell the artwork.
25
26 You'll see that the newer name & logo usage guidelines now cover MUCH of
27 this. The Sampling-Plus license on the logos was the legal means to
28 enforce the above goals.
29
30 The core parts of Sampling-Plus that mattered in this regard:
31 - no commercial usage by default (the foundation deliberately grants
32 exceptions to commercial vendors).
33 - no advertising usage (you can't use the Gentoo logo to advertise a
34 commercial product or service other than Gentoo-branded merchandise
35 itself).
36 - Allow highly transformative works to still be commercial WITHOUT
37 asking permission.
38 (eg if I made a great poster using the logo, I should be able to sell
39 it and keep the profits).
40
41 One of the outcome anticipated was more cool Gentoo-derived artwork
42 under the transformative provisions. This did not materialize in the
43 last 6 years, so I think we can handle it differently.
44
45 CC licenses before v4 did not explicitly handle the trademark usage
46 license, and this led to some confusion in early years of Creative
47 Commons (mostly with users NOT recognizing that they were 2 separate
48 things). v4 made it explicit.
49
50 So where do we go?
51 0. Educate users that they are taking two licenses (copyright & trademark)
52 1. Change copyright license on all Gentoo-owned to BY-SA (v4, further below)
53 2. EXPLICITLY grant trademark licenses (most of this is done in the
54 name/logo page already):
55 2.1. Non-commercial works: no Foundation permission needed.
56 2.2. Non-transformative Commercial works with Foundation permission only.
57 2.3. Highly-Transformative commercial works UNCERTAIN (I'm not decided).
58 3. Note that the artwork remains available under prior versions of the
59 license as well [6]
60 4. Note that the name/logo guidelines page is the trademark usage licensing.
61
62 Why CC v4?
63 - v4 requires all modifications be noted [1]
64 - v4 BY-SA (but not BY-NC-SA) is GPLv3 compatible [3]
65 - v4 auto-reinstatement on violations [4]
66 - v4 trademark explicitly-not-licensed [5]
67 - v3+v4 "no endorsement clause" to block advertising [2]
68
69 [1] https://wiki.creativecommons.org/wiki/License_Versions#Modifications_and_adaptations_must_be_indicated
70 [2] https://wiki.creativecommons.org/wiki/License_Versions#.22No_endorsement.22_clause_included
71 [3] https://creativecommons.org/share-your-work/licensing-considerations/compatible-licenses/
72 [4] https://wiki.creativecommons.org/wiki/License_Versions#Automatic_restoration_of_rights_after_termination_if_license_violations_corrected
73 [5] https://wiki.creativecommons.org/wiki/License_Versions#Trademark_and_patent_explicitly_not_licensed
74 [6] https://creativecommons.org/faq/#what-if-i-change-my-mind-about-using-a-cc-license
77 Robin Hugh Johnson
78 Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Trustee & Treasurer
79 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
80 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
81 GnuPG FP : 7D0B3CEB E9B85B1F 825BCECF EE05E6F6 A48F6136