From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
Cc: neddyseagoon@g.o, gentoo-dev-announce@l.g.o, gentoo-nfp@l.g.o, trustees@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Re: Gentoo Foundation Trustees Meeting 20 April 1900 UTC
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 20:29:19
1 On Mon, 2008-04-14 at 20:05 +0000, Ferris McCormick wrote:
2 > >
3 > > The draft agenda and usual notices can be found at
4 > > http://dev.gentoo.org/~neddyseagoon/docs/Trustee_Agenda_Apr_2008.xml
7 > I'll give a preview of the bylaws item so that people can think about
8 > it.
9
10 Thanks, I must say this is one area I am not to excited about, but needs
11 to be done.
12
13 > If you take the rl03 revision (attached) as a basis, about the only
14 > interesting outstanding point of discussion (as I remember --- to be
15 > fair to you, I must say that I'm not reading it while I write this)
16 > concerns the section on Membership. That is, the bylaws must spell out
17 > who is a member of the Foundation because (1) membership list must be on
18 > file with our agent; (2) other sections of the bylaws depend on it.
19
20 I don't have much input there. Other than there should be some sort of
21 term limit to membership, not eternally a member. Also it would be nice
22 to know who are the members.
23
24 Otherwise pretty open there, and not to many thoughts ideas atm. Will
25 see about reviewing it all, and coming up with something for the meeting
26 or etc. But might be an area where I have minor input, short of approval
27 or rejection :)
28
29 > I do not think the proposal spells out what we say we do at the moment,
30 > and that raises some issues.
31
32 Yes, and potentially lots of discussion. I think for conflict of
33 interest purposes. Most companies keep the board and the officers
34 separate. Some tend to have people on both. I am not sure if that's much
35 of an issue for us. But seems that the by laws are places where we would
36 declare that. Along with what each does, duties, roles, etc. That's a
37 must to provide a road map and guide for future replacements :)
38
39 > I have my own views, I know Roy does, and
40 > I suspect others do as well. I do believe that whatever we decide to
41 > do, we must (ought to? are morally bound to?) "grandfather" current
42 > members and use that to establish a base.
43
44 Yes we should not excluded or current members. Unless we determine there
45 is some term. And some are beyond that, thus do not qualify for
46 membership short of some activity or something.
49 William L. Thomson Jr.
50 amd64/Java/Trustees
51 Gentoo Foundation