From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-nfp] Section 4.1 Member Classes
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 18:28:48
On Thu, 2008-05-22 at 10:36 -0700, Chrissy Fullam wrote:
> > How would Gentoo benefit from having non-developers (individuals as you put > it) and businesses (you don't mention sponsors so I presume any business, > say Intel) be allowed to become part of the foundation and have a vote?
By allowing the greater community to feel they are participating and have a role in Gentoo. Not limiting the Gentoo community to just developers. Also everything I have been reading in posts, and hearing in like interviews. Which includes Vapier/Spanky's recent interview. Pretty much calls for help from the community beyond development stuff. So those people should have some form of representation. Unless you or others feel we should ignore the community. And only reflect the will of the community through developers and the council. Just to play out a scenario real quick for those concerned with power. The community would like to see A. The foundation hears that, and goes to the council and says hey. There is lots of interest in A. What are the chances of it happening? Council makes a call/ruling, and that's that. If the community is unhappy, sorry we can't please all. But at least this way they have some influence, can participate in some way, and at least are heard. In one sense, example.
> Also you mention Gentoo making money off this arrangement, can you please > elaborate how the money comes into play? Where does it come from, how do we > determine how much, and what do we do with it, etc?
Money would come from businesses wishing to be members. Not from individuals. The amount is yet to be discussed, and I am open there. But I do feel a tiered system is based. Where the amount does change based on company size. I think it's unfair to require a large corporation to pay the same amount to be a member as a small to medium sized business. Maybe it's unfair to have a tiered system where they pay different amounts. Not sure. Up to debate, discussion, and majority there. As a business would have a benefit of using Gentoo. In some form, that one would assume is reflected on their bottom line, profit wise. I feel they should give back to the community. While that is optional now. If they want to participate in some form beyond just contributing $. Then they should be required to pay for such privileges. Essentially paying for a membership, and right to vote. ( This would never apply to individuals, which would be free to join, short of filling out an application/form, maybe a quiz, etc. ) Now we are talking about a very small amount of influence if any at all. Being as how the foundation does not steer or control the project. The council does. It's mostly like a honorary thing. They could use it in marketing etc. Our company supports and is a member of the Gentoo Foundation, etc. Which could mean squat, but then again 99% of all marketing is just hype so :) -- William L. Thomson Jr. amd64/Java/Trustees Gentoo Foundation