From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] How to improve the trustees
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 20:31:49
On 1/31/08, William L. Thomson Jr. <wltjr@g.o> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 10:24 -0800, Chris Gianelloni wrote: > > OK, I'm starting a new thread here to try to discuss some things the > > trustees can do to improve both visibility and also attempt to > > ensure/promote progress within the Foundation. Please chime in with > > your own ideas. > > > > - Regular meetings - The trustees should have a regular monthly meeting > > to discuss progress, preferably the first week of the month (for GMN). > > > > - Regular GMN section - I think that both the Council and the trustees > > should have a section each for summaries of their latest meetings. This > > should relay information about what is happening to the developer pool > > and the community, in general. > > > > - Named positions - I also think that specifically putting certain > > people into certain positions would possibly improve getting things > > done. For each position, there should be an alternate, so that we don't > > end up relying on a single person. This also breaks up the > > responsibilities a bit so that the trustees and the community know what > > responsibilities that each person should be working. Positions that I > > see that could/should be filled: President, Secretary, Treasurer > > > > Those are my initial ideas. Comments? > > +1 to all > > Also I think that possibly the trustees should do more personnel and > drama management. Which presently falls under the council, but doesn't > seem technical in nature. But that could potentially be controversial, > and not likely to be one of the first actions.
I would prefer you inquire about this at a council meeting. Gentoo the distribution has lots of siloing and leadership problems that need work and I think with stronger leadership you will note a decrease in drama. I am not sure how many developers are interested in being a 'project lead'; currently people are more 'technical leads'. -Alec
> > One of the first actions I would like to see. Which I will mention when > I write a formal agenda for my plans in office if elected. Is to > transfer financial and legal matters to the SPI, pending a vote on the > matter. Verses doing it in house. > > If that happened, we would still need named positions. As in one person, > with a backup to be the liaison between Gentoo and the SPI. Along with > other defined/named roles for a re-focused board of trustees. With the > main weight of financial and legal obligations and responsibilities > removed. > > Focusing then on fund raising, relations, bolstering the community, etc. > All of the things that don't fall under the realm of the council. Which > as stated above, some things might need transfer of responsibility from > council to foundation. For non technical things, and things the council > would rather not deal with nor should have to. > > > -- > William L. Thomson Jr. > Gentoo/amd64/Java > >
-- gentoo-nfp@l.g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-nfp] How to improve the trustees "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>