From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt@××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] List of items to be addressed by audit
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 21:45:29
1 On Tue, 2011-03-29 at 22:18 +0100, Roy Bamford wrote:
2
3 > William,
4 >
5 > The order of precedence is the laws of New Mexico, both statue and case
6 > law, then the Articles of Incorporation, then the bylaws of the
7 > Foundation.
8
9 Again I am familiar with order of precedence. Which the articles of
10 incorporation state a minimum of three, and that overrides the bylaws,
11 as you just acknowledge with order of precedence.
12
13 But you keep putting to much emphasis on the bylaws. Which never
14 existed, until 2008. Despite the fact that the foundation was formed in
15 2004. The bylaws for the most part are meaningless. They are a guideline
16 and things that should be followed. But they can be changed at anytime,
17 and approved by a vote of the membership.
18
19 > While its unlikely that the state would use our own bylaws against us,
20 > Foundation members can.
21
22 Or anyone to ever enforce the bylaws, and I am a member of the
23 foundation, doing just that. I helped to author the current bylaws, as
24 you well know. Short any amendments since.
25
26 The current trustees are not following the stated bylaws. Which clearly
27 state the officers are to be elected or appointed by the trustees. That
28 does not state, the trustees are to assume roles as officers. Nor does
29 it say trustees become officers, or that trustees can elect to be an
30 officer. Furthermore if you read the section on officers you quoted, it
31 provides means for more than five officers. It calls for at least five
32 officers, but makes provisions for many more. Which right now only three
33 officers are listed with the State of New Mexico.
34
35 But again officers are not trustees. I was calling to have the two
36 separated back in 2008. Which still has not happened in 2011.
37
38 > So we are fine with five trustees.
39
40 There is nothing stating five, and its you all imposing such limits. The
41 bylaws clearly state the initial board of trustees will be five. But
42 that is not a hard limit, and no limit has been set by the members at
43 any annual members meeting. Which I love how my name is still in that
44 section of the bylaws, hilarious!
45
46 http://www.gentoo.org/foundation/en/BylawsAdopted.xml#doc_chap5
47
48 Clearly five is not enough given the amount of neglect and things not
49 done in many years. I really cannot believe the current state of the
50 foundation and the mess. Given that there has been active trustees since
51 2008. There is just no reason for things to be as they are now.
54 William L. Thomson Jr.
55 Obsidian-Studios, Inc.
56 http://www.obsidian-studios.com