From: Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o, gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] Re: [gentoo-project] Merging Trustees and Council / Developers and Foundation
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2017 21:57:43
1 On 01/05/2017 10:36 PM, Matthew Thode wrote:
2 > Merging Trustees and Council / Developers and Foundation
3 >
4 > First, let me state that this is a generic solution right now so as to
5 > remain flexible to any needed changes, details still need to be ironed out.
6 >
7 > Second, this is a request for comment. I'd appreciate it if you either
8 > replied via email, replied via irc or replied via the comment on the
9 > gdocs link below.
10 >
11 > Thanks for going over this (if you are going to read this).
12 >
13 > ====================
14 >
15 > When the Foundation and subsequently the council were set up, both
16 > bodies had common members despite their declared different purposes.
17 > Over the years the common members have vanished. Indeed, since 2008,
18 > the Foundation bylaws have forbidden a single individual to serve on
19 > council and as a trustee concurrently.
20 > Thus the split in responsibilities identified when the foundation was
21 > created has become more absolute.
22
23 I've always believed Unix philosophy states that modularization is good?
26 > This split is suboptimal for Gentoo (all of it). There is a reason why
27 > normal corporations are structured the way they are and Gentoo has not
28 > been like that since 2004.
29 > This proposal sets out a plan to revert to the normal corporate
30 > structure that Gentoo enjoyed before the Foundation and Council were
31 > created.
32
33 Can you elaborate a bit more on why it is suboptimal? I see the text
34 below, but is it really sufficient description for a major change?
38 Kristian Fiskerstrand
39 OpenPGP keyblock reachable at hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net
40 fpr:94CB AFDD 3034 5109 5618 35AA 0B7F 8B60 E3ED FAE3