From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Copyright assignment and headers in ebuilds
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 20:50:17
1 On Wed, 2009-02-18 at 20:39 +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 12:35:34 -0800
3 > Ned Ludd <solar@g.o> wrote:
4 > > I think the header is simply enough.
5 > > Btw when this same topic was a hot item before it was when "amir" and
6 > > drobbins were around. infact that sorta was the reason drobbins wanted
7 > > to collect copyright assignments from devs.
8 >
9 > The last time this came up, the lawyer in question also said that people
10 > had to sign a huge contract (complete with their real name, and we all
11 > know how well that tends go down amongst certain people...) agreeing to
12 > turn over any computer they used to work on Gentoo on demand. Given
13 > that that clearly isn't the case, and given that people have succeeded
14 > in court actions involving Linux (copyright six zillion people),
17 > would
18 > it not be wise to consider getting advice from another source?
19
20 Perhaps yes. But I don't think we should spend foundation money just to
21 revisit this old topic. Have the guy put the standard copyright in the
22 header, and we get on with life cuz it's highly doubtful if our IP ever
23 even got misused that we would do anything about it.
27 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
28 Gentoo Linux