From: Corey Shields <cshields@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] Re: shipping material to the UK
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 16:07:10
1 didn't see this on -nfp, Grant, so I'm sending it there. Read below..
2
3 On Wednesday 21 September 2005 08:38 am, Grant Goodyear wrote:
4 > Corey Shields wrote: [Tue Sep 20 2005, 06:28:47PM CDT]
5 >
6 > > Can I get reimbursed for shipping a box of Gentoo flyers (from the big
7 > > LWE order) to the guys doing the Gentoo booth at LWE-UK?
8 > >
9 > > Better yet, can we come up with a budget with an easier way of
10 > > allocating and spending such money (a publications budget maybe?)
11 > > Might be a good time to allocate an infra budget as well.
12 >
13 > (Forwarding to -nfp, since I'm fairly confident there's nothing
14 > confidential here.)
15 >
16 > Indeed, I think a budget for "outreach" would ge a fine idea.
17 >
18 > I'm sure that it should really be my job to propose a budget, but I'm
19 > really bad at that sort of thing, especially since I don't have a good
20 > feeling for what the monetary needs of infra and pr actually are. If we
21 > budget $1.5K for infra and $300 for pr, is that in the neighborhood of
22 > what's needed?
23 >
24 > -g2boojum-
25
26 Well, the flyers that were made and shipping them around for LWE-SF was
27 budgeted for $350 and went well over (given the weight and fedex/ups, but
28 that was not all flyers, the demo machines were in on that). It depends on
29 what you would classify as PR. If PR is solely the printed material, then
30 maybe, but if it encompasses promotion of Gentoo as a whole then that would
31 cover things like shipping the demo boxes for LWE. I could think of PR
32 stunts to eat through any kind of budget we can give (CDs for tradeshows are
33 always requested, but they are pricey to do in enough of a quantity to make
34 it worthwhile), but just for starters I think something along the lines of
35 $1k - $1.5k min for the year would be good. In my mind, PR should be second
36 on our priority list next to infra.. but that might be just me. :)
37
38 The question then is where does the PR budget land? I would like to see the
39 Foundation handle most of the PR and promotion of Gentoo, since it just seems
40 easier to keep it close to the source. Again, this is just a personal
41 idea/opinion.
42
43 As for infra, $1.5k is good for covering operations and incidentals, but
44 should not be expected to include any servers that need to be purchased
45 (because it obviously isn't enough). Such items should be proposed
46 seperately for now. But the $1.5k should be enough of a buffer to cover
47 things like disk failures and to get Lance a leash^H^H^H pager.
48
49 So if we went $1.5k for PR and $1.5k for Infra, making $3k for the year, we
50 should be just fine financially. We are averaging $4k a quarter with the
51 prospect of another $1.5k/quarter revenue just around the corner.
52
53 Cheers,
54
55 -Corey