From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: Alistair Bush <ali_bush@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Spending money authority
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 14:35:04
1 First off, I'd like to say that I think we're actually mostly in
2 agreement, but maybe talking past each other slightly.
3
4 Alistair Bush wrote:
5 >> No argument there. But keep in mind that the devs should drive the
6 >> rules - not the other way around.
7 >
8 > Not sure I really understand this. When you refer to dev's do you mean
9 > all dev's individually or devs that are represented by say the Council?
10 > Also how would rules drive a dev?
13 I guess I'm referring to both in a sense. The purpose of rules is to
14 make Gentoo work well - they don't exist for their own sake. I guess
15 I'm trying to advocate being pragmatic with regard to rules. If an
16 overwhelming majority of devs want something to happen, it should happen
17 - we shouldn't delay decisions by months to hold elections/etc. On the
18 other hand, I do agree with you that we don't want to be so loose that
19 we just presume to know the desires of the devs without bothering to ask
20 them if a matter is sufficiently important.
21
22 > While I understand the point I have to ask, do the Foundation and
23 > Council really have different Constituencies? It isn't like one is dev
24 > only and the other is open to anybody. Any differences between the 2
25 > Constituencies are minor at worse.
26
27 Currently they are essentially the same. However, the reason I bring
28 this up is that there is some debate over whether the foundation
29 membership should be substantially expanded beyond just gentoo devs
30 (possibly including end-users, or those willing to pay a membership fee
31 of some sort). These kinds of situations could lead to the sorts of
32 conflicts I'd like to avoid, as now you have two boards with different
33 agendas in charge of aspects of the same project.
34 --
35 gentoo-nfp@l.g.o mailing list