From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Foundation membership and who can join
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 17:39:19
1 On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 9:35 AM, Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
2 wrote:
3
4 > Current bylaws state that to become a member you need to petition the
5 > trustees for membership to the foundation. What verification is done by
6 > trustees is up in the air. Members also seem to be members for life
7 > unless they remove themselves are are removed by a vote of the trustees.
10 > I suggest we use and/or modify the existing staff quiz for use as a
11 > guide for who to admit, as 'graded' by trustees. I also suggest that
12 > some for of positive acknowledgement that they will adhere to the CoC
13 > would be helpful as well.
16 I wouldn't use the term graded. Just add a requirement that they must have
17 passed the staff quiz, with a grandfather clause for existing members.
18
19 The CoC thing sounds fine, provided that you are willing to enforce it
20 (e.g. by terminated the membership of violators.) Exercise due care in how
21 this bylaw is worded.
25 > Now, some have floated the idea that the foundation membership is
26 > somewhat defunct, and that may be the case. Personally I think it
27 > should be reaffirmed each year (or some other time period that is agreed
28 > upon). But to 'clean' it up I think we should ask the existing members
29 > to at least agree to the CoC, and possibly also be staff.
32 I do not want to bifurcate (or trifurcate) the structure.
33
34 The community has 3 types of members:
35
36 1) Foundation members
37 2) Developers
38 3) Users
39
40 All three agree to the CoC implicitly by being a member of the community.
41 It would be agreeable to me to see more wording added to the bylaws that
42 members who violate the community guidelines could have the membership
43 revoked (in addition to any comrel action.) Again, careful on the wording
44 of such bylaws.
48 > It's also been suggested that the foundation (active) membership is
49 > waning, so once / if we decide on an update to the membership policy I
50 > think we should mail the lists petitioning for memebers (-dev -project
51 > and maybe some others)
54 I'm not going to recruit based on "suggestion." Either we have the data on
55 members or we don't. If we do, present it. If we don't, we should probably
56 get some data before acting.
59 > The above would be an update to the bylaws and I want feedback before I
60 > propose it as an update.
61 >
62 > --
63 > Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)