From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt@××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] List of items to be addressed by audit
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 18:49:06
On Tue, 2011-03-29 at 14:38 -0400, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:

> Now once the new trustees are elected, and after the audit or during. > The trustees really need to work on figuring out how people become > officers. Right now I do not believe there is any policy for such. You > just become a trustee, and if you want an officer. But if there are more > trustees, there can only be 4 officers, as it was when I was a Trustee. > I was 5th elected, thus not a officer. But that was a very lame way to > assign officer positions.
Also just for clarification, it was me who suggested the lame idea of assigning officer roles in order of election back in 2008. I take full responsibility for that lameness. However something I did not realize at time of running for the board of trustees, which others might not, and Matthew brought up. As a trustee you have no liability. As an officer, you do have liability, and must sign your name to things, sticking your neck out, and in a sense putting your butt on the line. I am not sure people who want to become trustees understand that they might also end up as an officer. Which is a very different role, and comes with potential consequences and liabilities that does not exist for a trustee. Not to mention the amount of work that needs to be done. How Gentoo goes about getting trustees is fine, elections great. But the officer problem, needs to be addressed at some point as well. To really stick my neck out there, I think at some point officers might have to be paid. In an ideal world, lots of areas of Gentoo are paid, infra, council, newsletter editors, maybe even some low dollar stuff for new articles. I am not talking about any great amounts. At best maybe like part time job stuff, though if things got large enough maybe full time. Anyway given the amount of work and responsibilities of officers. I am not sure that will ever get done by volunteers. If there is never any means to correct such. Then I guess its time to start talking to the SPI. I rather not see Gentoo go to the SPI, but it cannot remain as it is with regard to the foundation, financial neglect, and the rest. -- William L. Thomson Jr. Obsidian-Studios, Inc.