From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] Re: How to improve the trustees
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 01:37:18
Chris Gianelloni wrote:

> OK, I'm starting a new thread here to try to discuss some things the > trustees can do to improve both visibility and also attempt to > ensure/promote progress within the Foundation. Please chime in with > your own ideas. > > - Regular meetings - The trustees should have a regular monthly meeting > to discuss progress, preferably the first week of the month (for GMN). >
Sounds good.
> - Regular GMN section - I think that both the Council and the trustees > should have a section each for summaries of their latest meetings. This > should relay information about what is happening to the developer pool > and the community, in general. >
Agreed. The news snippets that have been coming through, with automatic links to a discussion thread on the forums have been really good.
> - Named positions - I also think that specifically putting certain > people into certain positions would possibly improve getting things > done. For each position, there should be an alternate, so that we don't > end up relying on a single person. This also breaks up the > responsibilities a bit so that the trustees and the community know what > responsibilities that each person should be working. Positions that I > see that could/should be filled: President, Secretary, Treasurer > > Those are my initial ideas. Comments? >
I'm not sure about this last one: the Council seems to work as a voting structure with an understanding of parity. I'd rather see the Foundation employing a professional administrator, hiring a lawyer and an accountant, with oversight by the Trustees. Either that or hand those responsibilities over to the SFC/SPI. I don't think the Foundation membership, which aiui is developers and ex-developers, has the skills base to do those tasks professionally, as they require. Nor do they seem to have been that motivated to carry out those tasks, unsurprisingly. A user on the forums pointed out the Foundation Charter at -- I note from there that the three strands of its remit are: legal (IP protection), financial and social (the Social Contract.) It seems to me that the Code of Conduct now stands alongside the Social Contract, and it would be useful for the Trustees to actively oversee that side of things, wrt to the issues noted by others. IOW I believe the Trustees should have a wider remit than only the legal matters, going into the future. Given the clear need for work on user involvement and areas like PR, which impact upon the standing of the brand, it would make sense for the Trustees to represent the interests of the community as a whole, including devs, staff, infra and users, in order to fulfil their remit. It would also make the work more interesting, and this stuff clearly needs to be done. Stipulating that Trustees would be supported by qualified professionals would mean they can "take over all of the more organizational roles" or at least more of them, alleviating pressure on the Council which can only help development, imo. -- gentoo-nfp@l.g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-nfp] Re: How to improve the trustees Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>