From: desultory <desultory@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Re: [gentoo-project] Questions for Gentoo Council nominees: Gentoo Foundation - Treasurer Response!
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2019 03:08:48
1 On 07/05/19 11:00, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jul 5, 2019 at 3:45 AM Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Wed, Jul 03, 2019 at 09:08:14AM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 >>> On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 8:56 AM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
6 >>>>
7 >>>> Are you aware if the fee is going to be the same if we
8 >>>> go for proper non-profit?
9 >>>
10 >>> Do you mean 501c3 by "proper non-profit?" Or some other tax-exempt status?
11 >>>
12 >>> I think most around here have abandoned all hope of ever running our
13 >>> own 501c3. A number don't even think we should try, and a 501c3 is
14 >>> hard enough to get approved if you have a professional board all
15 >>> towing the party line. If you get people making public statements
16 >>> like we ought to be a trade association (which is non-exempt) it would
17 >>> be even harder.
18 >>>
19 >>
20 >> This is not true. A 501c3 is not some mysterious unicorn that no one can obtain.
21 >
22 > I never claimed it was.
23 >
24 Then why, pray tell, did you frame it as though 501c(3) status is some
25 kind of mystical unicorn and we are fresh out of maidens with an
26 equestrian bent?
27
28 >> Plenty of organizations gain tax-exempt status with the IRS by simply filing and
29 >> following the law.
30 >
31 > Absolutely true.
32 >
33 >> We will be just fine if we decide to maintain a 501c3.
34 >
35 > Not true at all. Lots of organizations would have no problems
36 > becoming a 501c3. Gentoo is not those organizations.
37 >
38 Again, please, substantive data, not handwaving.
39
40 > If you want to be a 501c3 you need to spend several years working
41 > towards that status. You need to present yourself as fitting into the
42 > categories that the status pertains to. You need to file your taxes
43 > on time and so on.
44 >
45 Then why, pray tell, do you think the current Trustees voted to hire a
46 CPA to work on the back taxes?
47
48 > I can't tell you how many times I've seen Trustees post on this list
49 > or on IRC saying that they don't think that we should even be a 501c3
50 > and should be a non-exempt status like 501c6/etc. What is the chance
51 > that we'll be able to refrain from having board members do that for 5
52 > years or so? Heck, I'm skeptical that we'll ever manage to file our
53 > taxes on time 5 years in a row, though I at least see that as being
54 > conceivable.
55 >
56 Stating a personal opinions is not somehow compelling the IRS to agree
57 with them, even as a board member of an organization stating personal
58 opinions about that organization. The filings of the organization,
59 unless demonstrably false, would have distinctly more sway over the
60 official opinions of the IRS.
61
62 > And then we have our history of non-compliance. That will only make
63 > things harder even if everybody does everything right.
64 >
65 > So, yes, all things being equal some hypothetical organization that
66 > does what Gentoo does could probably become a 501c3. However, Gentoo
67 > isn't some hypothetical organization and all things are not equal.
68 > We're an organization with many conflicting views on how it ought to
69 > be operated, with members who aren't all that interested in running a
70 > non-profit, and with relatively limited interest in fundraising/etc.
71 >
72 > Now, I wouldn't be opposed to just letting people who want to try to
73 > create their own 501c3 play around with it for another decade or two,
74 > except that in the meantime I think we're avoiding putting effort into
75 > other approaches that are more likely to work out, like joining an
76 > umbrella.
77 >
78 Given your lack of opposition to creating a 501c(3) to "play around with
79 it for another decade or two", if it were to last that long, why,
80 exactly do you posit that an umbrella organization would necessarily be
81 "more likely to work out"? Given your hypothetical, the 501c(3) stood up
82 to "play around with " would seem to have been, or at least at some
83 point become, rather stable.