From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Next meeting; a motion to have 1 type of Gentoo member.
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2016 11:50:46
1 On Mon, Nov 7, 2016 at 12:19 AM, Matthew Thode
2 <prometheanfire@g.o> wrote:
3 > On 11/06/2016 10:55 PM, Dean Stephens wrote:
4 >> On 11/06/16 21:32, Alec Warner wrote:
5 >>> The foundation currently has 1 member type (in the bylaws) but Gentoo
6 >>> itself still seems to have 2 (Gentoo staff and Ebuild developer)
7 >>>
8 >> Which is a problem in exactly what way? What actual practical benefit is
9 >> being sought by means of this proposal?
12 > The split in the pool of users/voters makes it hard to act as one unit.
13 > One way of thinking about this change would be to have the Foundation as
14 > the top level project (with ALL members), with council just beneath
15 > (with DEV memebrs).
16
17 I think it is a mistake to have the Trustees and Council elected by
18 different bodies. This is just going to tend to create conflict
19 between these groups because they end up having different
20 constituencies.
21
22 Right now developers without commit access already are allowed to
23 become both Foundation members and vote for council. You're
24 suggesting that they lose their rights to vote for Council members?
25 That doesn't seem like an improvement.
26
27 As long as the standards for becoming a non-committing
28 staff/dev/whatever are the same as they are today, I don't really have
29 a problem with most of the proposal as it is just the status quo. The
30 only change I'd suggest is that when somebody is no longer
31 staff/dev/whatever they lose their Foundation membership.
32
33 I think that is important to keep the group of people voting for
34 Council/Trustees the same as much as possible. Otherwise you're going
35 to get even more reluctance for the two bodies to work together.
38 Rich