From: Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Thoughts on upcoming trustee elections
Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 17:04:04
1 Donnie Berkholz wrote: [Sun May 01 2005, 04:13:12AM EDT]
2 > I mean you can't even understand the results without a detailed
3 > analysis. I was following the recent DPL elections, and at the end it
4 > was basically, "Branden won, but nobody really seems to have a good
5 > understanding of why or how."
6 >
7 > For example, this post: http://lwn.net/Articles/131551/
8 >
9 > " The results are posted at
10 > http://master.debian.org/~srivasta/leader2005_results.txt
11 > http://master.debian.org/~srivasta/leader2005_results.png
12 > The tally sheet is at:
13 > http://master.debian.org/~srivasta/leader2005_tally.txt
14 > The list of people voting is at:
15 > http://master.debian.org/~srivasta/leader2005_voters.txt"
16 >
17 > None of which make _any_ sense to me with the exception of the voters list.
18
19 Well, they didn't do a good job of pointing to supporting URLs. The
20 two comments following the one you referenced are quite helpful.
21
22 > Perhaps a voting method that regular people can actually understand
23 > intuitively would be more helpful.
24
25 The only voting method that people understand intuitively is plurality
26 voting, used in most democratic countries in the world. It has the
27 unfortunate result of favoring one extreme or the other; that is the
28 reason that the U.S. has only two viable parties. Just because the
29 method is intuitive and in wide use does not mean that it is fair or
30 that it is the best for Gentoo.
31
32 To be honest, now that I've seen what Debian has for voting, that's
33 exactly what I'd like to see in Gentoo, EXCEPT that I'd like to make
34 sure people aren't purely confused by it. The reason they posted all
35 those numbers was for the sake of transparency, not for the sake of
36 explanation. As one commenter noted, the explanation is available in
37 other documents.
38
39 Here is Condorcet voting in a nutshell:
40
41 Ballots are counted by considering all possible sets of
42 two-candidate elections from all available candidates. That is,
43 each candidate is considered against each and every other
44 candidate. A candidate is considered to "win" against another on
45 a single ballot if they are ranked higher than their opponent. All
46 the votes for candidate Alice over candidate Bob are counted, as
47 are all of the votes for Bob over Alice. Whoever has the most
48 votes in each one-on-one election wins.
49
50 That is a quote from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condorcet_method
51 which goes into a lot more detail.
52