From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Point behind foundation members existence
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 10:35:56
William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
> > Seems the rules could just be changed to say, active dev, on for 1yr, > etc. You can vote, just like for council. Since it seems all Foundation > membership gives one, is the ability to vote on Foundation matters. > Which is basically just elections. >
As seen in the other thread on spending authority, there is the possibility of conflict between the council and the trustees, and we obviously want to avoid that when possible or chaos would result. For this reason, I think that it is important that the constituencies of the foundation and the council should be the same - or as close to the same as possible. If these boards are both elected by the same people they're not going to end up being totally opposed on numerous issues. In an ideal world there would be a single governing body, which avoids these kinds of issues altogether. That is how most non-profits operate - there is a single board of directors that runs the whole show, typically though hired executives. The downside to a single governing body is that for legal reasons it has to operate in accordance with bylaws/laws/etc, and there has been reluctance to adopting this level of formality for all Gentoo matters. What is ultimately important is that these two bodies work in harmony - I think that is what is desired in any case. If there is substantial conflict it may possibly lead to ruin for the distro - at least under the "Gentoo" name... -- gentoo-nfp@l.g.o mailing list