From: Dean Stephens <desultory@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Next meeting; a motion to have 1 type of Gentoo member.
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2016 04:57:29
1 On 11/07/16 00:03, M. J. Everitt wrote:
2 > On 07/11/16 04:55, Dean Stephens wrote:
3 >> On 11/06/16 21:32, Alec Warner wrote:
4 >>> The foundation currently has 1 member type (in the bylaws) but Gentoo
5 >>> itself still seems to have 2 (Gentoo staff and Ebuild developer)
6 >>>
7 >> Which is a problem in exactly what way? What actual practical benefit is
8 >> being sought by means of this proposal?
9 >>
10 >>> This motion represents an idea that the community itself would only have 1
11 >>> contributor type.
12 >>>
13 >>> 1) Contributors must take the staff quiz (which we should rename to the
14 >>> contributor quiz.)
15 >>>
16 >> Which is already a a subset of the developer quiz, with the exception of
17 >> two questions that are unique to the staff quiz. If you want devs to be
18 >> required to describe what ~ARCH is and whether users need to know what
19 >> EAPI is, there are less labor intensive ways of achieving that goal.
20 >> Also, are you seriously proposing that anyone who submits a patch or
21 >> files a bug or helps other users in any of the various support channels
22 >> must take a quiz first, or do they not "contribute"?
23 >>
24 >>> 2) Contributors are encouraged to be foundation members, but membership is
25 >>> not required. We may amend the contributor onboarding process to offer
26 >>> foundation membership at the time they join Gentoo as a contributor.
27 >>>
28 >> Which is the status quo, just with the proposed renaming.
29 >>
30 >>> 3) Contributors that want access to the gentoo ebuild repository still need
31 >>> to follow the normal recruiting process (ebuild quiz, mentor, 30 day
32 >>> period.)
33 >>>
34 >> So, again, effectively the status quo.
35 >>> 4) Contributors that do not want access to the gentoo ebuild repository
36 >>> (because they contribute in other ways) do not need to take the ebuild
37 >>> quiz. Its unclear if a 30 day grace period is required for non-ebuild
38 >>> groups.
39 >>>
40 >> And, yet again, the status quo.
41 >>
42 >>> 5) Existing developers and staff are rebranded as contributors.
43 >>>
44 >> Why "rebrand" anyone?
45 >>
46 >>> If approved, I expect a few months of working with comrel to adjust
47 >>> existing policy documents and recruiting guidelines to implement.
48 >>>
49 >> Does comrel really need more to do? Even merely dropping the staff quiz
50 >> questions from the developer quiz and changing all documentation to
51 >> describe everyone as a "contributor" takes time, and you introduce
52 >> another round of quiz taking for new ebuild developers when taking too
53 >> much time to get through the quizzes is already probably the most
54 >> commonly complained about part of recruiting new ebuild developers.
55 >>> -A
56 >>>
57 >>
58 > With respect, I believe you're missing the point of what Alec and Matt
59 > are trying to do. Which is predominately formalise and Document the
60 > status quo, so there is less misunderstanding from the inside and out.
61 >
62 My point, in case it was insufficiently clear, was that there was no
63 such point made, or even much hinted at, in the proposal itself. So to
64 take the relativist perspective, yes I was indeed missing the point,
65 though only because the point was missing.
66
67 The proposal would have been much more clearly stated had the space
68 spent on things that would merely be updated to reflect the proposed
69 nomenclature changes have been lumped together as "change all of the
70 things which would need to be updated purely for nomenclature changes as
71 needed" and the balance of that space used to briefly note why it would
72 be desirable to do so.