From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Gentoo NPO Business Model thoughts
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 03:09:38
1 On Mon, 2007-12-17 at 14:30 -0800, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Sun, 2007-12-16 at 11:29 -0500, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
3 > > wrt to generation of revenue
4 >
5 > Here's why it will never fly with me. Gentoo is not about revenue.
6 > Changing it to be so would kill the spirit of freedom.
7
8 That would NOT be the idea. Just providing it a way to generate revenue.
9 Surely not being all about the revenue.
10
11 > No matter what
12 > you might think, if we *have* to come up with a certain amount of money
13 > to make payroll, it'll mean changing what we do specifically to ensure
14 > revenue.
15
16 Entities can scale up or down based on revenue. There is nothing saying
17 one has to sustain any level of business. When one has no one to answer
18 to but oneself and their purpose. Only thing that would dictate anything
19 for Gentoo would be the people within Gentoo running it based on what
20 they felt was best or etc. I think it would be able to sustain it self
21 quite easily once going. Initially would be a herculean task to
22 overcome.
23
24 > Anything that requires us to secure a specific amount of
25 > revenue on a recurring scale will likely cause things to move in the
26 > wrong direction. Were Gentoo to move in this direction, I would quit
27 > immediately.
28
29 Well it seems there are many problems that won't be solved when things
30 are handed over to the SFC. Most say the current direction is either non
31 or not a good one. Most borderline quitting as is :) Not sure what to
32 say, but without some organization things will only continue on a
33 chaotic or stagnant path. Not sure what can be dictated to an entire
34 volunteer community. Pretty much ensures each will have their own
35 priorities, which in most cases won't be Gentoo.
36
37 > You've also completely glossed over the simple fact that we are
38 > incapable of administrating ourselves.
39
40 Not at all. I am doing what I can and things on the Java front are WAY
41 different than were they were 1 year ago or two years ago. But I can't
42 see that really working on a large scale due to hierarchy and again an
43 all volunteer staff. Much less with equal ranking, which it's up to each
44 to respect the skills, time on the job, and etc of each other. Doesn't
45 really lead things down a path that could be easily administrated. Much
46 less the time it would consume to administrate things. How would one
47 have any time for anything else. Like making a living.
48
49 > The Gentoo Foundation and its
50 > trustees are a failed experiment. In four years, we've gotten nothing
51 > more accomplished than was *handed* to us by Daniel Robbins. I'd call
52 > that a pretty significant failure.
53
54 Granted the foundation structure and etc as is has likely failed. I
55 think there are many successful foundations out there. One of my long
56 time favorite has been the Firebird Foundation. But we have another to
57 look at, the Gnome Foundation. Who left the SPI, which still manages
58 Debian.
59
60 While I get that the SFC will correct and handle the legal aspects. I
61 think the role the foundation was to fill I think extended a bit beyond
62 that. Maybe not. Either way, doesn't necessarily mean the council will
63 be any more effective. Or respected when major controversial decisions
64 are made. Just that legal administration and etc is handled.
65
66 > Trying to do anything with the Foundation *other* than letting someone
67 > else to the administrative work is pretty much not even something we
68 > (the current trustees) would consider at this stage.
69
70 Ok, but then again we were supposed to be electing in new trustees. So
71 given that the existing seem burned out. Some not as ideally present or
72 available. Might be a decision best left to a fresh board of trustees.
73 Much less the time frame to handing things over to the SFC? Sounds like
74 that decision has been finalized.
75
76 > We simply do not
77 > have the qualified man power, fiscal holdings, or revenue to do anything
78 > other than join the SFC.
79
80 Ok, but have many other options been explored or considered? I take it
81 there were compelling reasons for the SFC vs SPI. I need to read this
82 lists archives for that and other background info. Please excuse my
83 ignorance there. Only have so much time myself. When everyone I run into
84 is negative about things like this. Doesn't really motivate me to spend
85 even more time on it all :)
86
87 > Remember that we make about $8000 a year and
88 > that has to cover servers and hardware, any and all PR, plus anything
89 > else that we require, such as legal filings.
90
91 Yes, and I am proposing ways to change that and generate additional
92 revenue. Because once things are handed over to the SFC. We can pretty
93 much guaranty the financial situation won't change. After all Gentoo
94 will just be a charity, contributions will likely be more out of pity or
95 for the heck of it :) Verses business supporting it because the need it,
96 like what they see, and want more of it or etc.
97
98 Just ideas, if they aren't wanted, as stated many times. I have my own
99 business and the time can surely be used there :)
102 William L. Thomson Jr.
103 Gentoo/Java