From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Section 1.1 Business Offices
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 22:03:49
1 On Mon, 2008-04-21 at 12:12 +0000, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 9:06 PM, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
6 > > While this section has provisions for business offices. Till there is
7 > > the need, or more importantly the funds/revenue to be able to afford for
8 > > such. I think it's quite moot and pointless to even be mentioned.
9 >
10 > I thought this whole point was a legal requirement from NM and that
11 > our office was set to the location of our agent in NM. Aren't we
12 > required to have an office in NM?
13
14 As I read the requirements from here
15 http://www.nmprc.state.nm.us/corporations/pdf/charter/dnp.pdf
16
17 Article Four: A New Mexico corporation must continually maintain a
18 registered agent and registered office address.
19 ....
20 (2) Enter the name of the registered agent, who must be located at the
21 registered office address.
24 We don't need offices per say, as a registered office address. Which the
25 registered agents address must be the same. Any registered agent we
26 retain, will therefore be the registered office location for the Gentoo
27 Foundation.
28
29 The By Laws could be implying that, but do not clearly state that. So we
30 should likely update them. To reflect that the Gentoo Foundation does
31 not have official offices, just a registered address to meet legal
32 requirements. No implication of Gentoo officials meeting at the offices
33 or conducting any business at that location or others.
34
35 Also maybe that the address might change as we change registered agents.
36 But any legal filings will have to be updated to reflect that. So not
37 sure the by laws need to spell out that aspect.
40 William L. Thomson Jr.
41 amd64/Java/Trustees
42 Gentoo Foundation