From: Jim Ramsay <lack@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] Fw: [gentoo-dev] License Interpretation
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 19:21:15
1 Antarus suggested I get your opinion on this, since in theory you are
2 the body who would be held accountable if I am misinterpreting the
3 license.
4
5 Thanks for your input! I will not add the patch mentioned until I hear
6 a definite 'aye' from you folks.
7
8 -------------------------------
9
10 Begin forwarded message:
11
12 Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 15:10:18 -0400
13 From: Jim Ramsay <lack@g.o>
14 To: gentoo-dev@g.o
15 Subject: [gentoo-dev] License Interpretation
18 IANAL, and I'm sure most of us aren't either, but I would appreciate
19 some opinions on Bug https://bugs.gentoo.org/234542 and whether the
20 binary patch proposed there conflicts with section 2.5.1 of the license
21 agreement from Adobe:
22
23 http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/pdfs/Reader_Player_WWEULA-Combined-20060724_1430.pdf
24
25 Specifically, here is the passage I'm wondering about:
26
27 2.5.1 You may not modify, adapt, translate or create derivative works
28 based upon the Software. You may not reverse engineer, decompile,
29 disassemble or otherwise attempt to discover the source code of the
30 Software except to the extent you may be expressly permitted to
31 decompile under applicable law, it is essential to do so in order to
32 achieve operability of the Software with another software program, and
33 you have first requested Adobe to provide the information necessary to
34 achieve such operability and Adobe has not made such information
35 available.
36
37 I *think* I would be okay using this binary patch since:
38
39 1) This is specifically to make it operable with libcurl.so.4
40 2) I have (and others have) asked Adobe to recompile it with support
41 for libcurl.so.4 instead of libcurl.so.3, but they have not done so (or
42 responded to any of these requests, as far as I am aware).
43
44 Anyone care to weigh in, lawyer or not?
47 Jim Ramsay
48 Gentoo Developer (rox/fluxbox/gkrellm)