From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] An NFP request
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 22:30:20
1 On Tuesday 13 April 2004 19:33, Daniel Robbins wrote:
2 > I have a request. If you agree with Kurt or Corey or someone else, rather
3 > than just posting an "I agree with him" email, please explain why you agree
4 > with the person you agree with. Explain how you view the NFP working. It's
5 > helpful for me to hear it in your own words.
6 >
7 > Regards,
8 >
9 > Daniel
10
11 The issue for me is ownership of the copyright and trademarks. I'm not
12 worried about you running off with it and making your fortune out of
13 everyone's contributions. I'm concerned about what happens if you leave, or
14 if you die unexpectedly.
15
16 You'd be missed - but the project needs to survive that day.
17
18 I see the NFP existing primarily as a legal entity to hold and defend the
19 copyrights and trademarks. For me, that's its #1 purpose. And if the NFP
20 isn't going to be doing that, I'd like to see the policy on copyright
21 assignment changed, because that policy is no longer credible in my eyes.
22
23 Legal ownership does mean that the NFP ultimately has to have the final say
24 about what happens to Gentoo. My thoughts on that I'd like to stick into a
25 follow-up email, if anyone thinks it's worth me sharing.
26
27 The other thing I'd like to see the NFP doing is handling the financial side.
28 I don't think it's the NFP's place to pay devs, but it can supply hardware,
29 cover the costs of books, travel to conferences, that sort of thing.
30
31 Best regards,
32 Stu
33 --
34 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
35 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
36 Missed the php|cruise? http://dev.gentoo.org/~stuart/cruise-2004/
37
38 GnuGP key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
39 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C