From: Christian Faulhammer <opfer@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] Re: How to improve the trustees
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 08:21:35
1 "Jan Bilek" <clonolu-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@××××××××××××.org>:
2
3 > I am not a developer, just user, but I hope I can dare to express my
4 > opinion
5
6 Of course you can. Don't ask those silly questions, don't be afraid
7 of someone who has a developer badge on. This mailing list is not
8 read-only for non-devs, so express it. (Though well-informed opinions
9 are necessary.)
10 Most issues were addressed by other people already with whom I agree,
11 so only one comment.
12
13 > Competition of smaller projects led by developers who talk when they
14 > need to instead of cathedral led by official institutions going
15 > through official (and less and less efficient) ways. Smaller teams who
16 > communicate on daily basis so they don't need summaries and reports.
17
18 Actually this is the current state of affairs, in my opinion. For
19 example I work in the Emacs team (2 people in total), which is part of
20 the Lisp project (5 in total). We have our mailing list, we have three
21 overlays in total and move ebuilds to the official tree when needed.
22 Communication happens ad-hoc on IRC, by mail or instant messaging,
23 whatever is needed and how pressing it is. We don't do regular reports
24 or meetings, but I try to get out important news by Planet Gentoo or
25 the GWN/GMN so people know about it. Many teams work like that and
26 that can result in a problem. You are in your small group, follow
27 discussions and know about the progess made. But any outstander has to
28 guess what happened if there is no such thing as documentation of
29 upgrade paths, issues or important changes. That's what Gentoo
30 suffere/d from, see the front page updates that halted for more than
31 three months.
32 Release engineering has a hard time to get teams moving to fix bugs
33 (some), but I think this will improve by the more open way how releases
34 are handled now.
35
36 > Thanx for your time reading this.
37
38 Thanks for writing.
39
40 V-Li
43 Christian Faulhammer, Gentoo Lisp project
44 <URL:http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/lisp/>, #gentoo-lisp on FreeNode
45
46 <URL:http://www.faulhammer.org/>