From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Social contract and its effect on upstream software choices
Date: Tue, 05 May 2020 18:57:29
1 On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 12:13 PM Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > [2] We also have a Gentoo org on gitlab.com, but it's ~unused but has access to hosted EE features. I believe we plan on sunsetting this and replacing it with the self-hosted CE version.
6 FWIW, I know/trust somebody who has access to the source code for the
7 EE that is running on gitlab.com, and they have vouched that aside
8 from the EE-only additions the source code of the core product is
9 identical with CE. That is, all the stuff that is in the CE source
10 code is present in the hosted version using the same version of the
11 source code, and there aren't any special gitlab.com
12 patches/branches/etc. Obviously if you use the EE-only stuff then
13 that isn't present in CE.
14
15 So, in theory self-hosted CE should be identical to using gitlab.com
16 and avoiding the use of the EE-only features.
17
18 Obviously I have nothing to go on beyond their word, but even with
19 100% FOSS when you don't do the hosting you basically have to take the
20 word from the hosting provider that what they're hosting is actually
21 what they say they're hosting.
22
23 So, if making use of their hosting (which is often free to FOSS
24 organizations - if we don't already have that I could make inquiries
25 if there is official interest) would make a big difference in its
26 usefulness, this is probably something worth keeping in mind.
27 Obviously self-hosting is better in a lot of ways, but I was under the
28 impression that its design was holding us back from that.
31 Rich