From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: stuart@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] Re: [gentoo-dev] NFP + co-op
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 18:46:05
On Apr 13, 2004, at 12:03 am, Stuart Herbert wrote:

> Okay ... am I the only developer who is getting tired with the excuses > we've > been reading tonight in the meeting about why we *still* don't have a > Gentoo > NFP?
I don't know about devs, but here's one user who thinks NFP status is overdue. Since I wasn't present at the meeting, I'm not aware of what was discussed. Is there a log available..?
> Oh yeah - and I suppose I should feel offended with Daniel saying that > we > shouldn't be adding value.
I take it that "adding value" in this context means "adding value to applications above that already provided by the upstream developers", and not "adding perceived value to product so as to increase our margins"..? I don't really have much to say about that, except to point out that a distro is all about "adding value" by the former definition - it packages together a bootloader, Linux kernel, core utilities with any other apps, and makes them all work together.
> Whether Daniel's idea of a co-op or two to raise funds will help speed > up my > webapps work or not I just don't know ...
This is the first I've heard about Gentoo as co-operative - can anyone clarify. What benefits does that give that cannot be achieved by Gentoo (as a non-profit organisation) simply paying its devs.
> Daniel, please - we've been going at this for as long as I've been a > dev. > Please get the original, long-promised Not-For-Profit established > before you > do *anything* else. If you need money to pay the costs, we'll get you > the > money. But please - get it done.
I find the delays over this somewhat confusing. NFP plans were announced nearly a year ago now, and users have had no updates on them. It can't be THAT hard, surely..?