From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Re: [gentoo-project] Questions for Gentoo Council nominees: Gentoo Foundation - Treasurer Response!
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2019 14:45:37
1 On Wed, Jul 03, 2019 at 09:08:14AM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 8:56 AM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > Are you aware if the fee is going to be the same if we
5 > > go for proper non-profit?
6 >
7 > Do you mean 501c3 by "proper non-profit?" Or some other tax-exempt status?
8 >
9 > I think most around here have abandoned all hope of ever running our
10 > own 501c3. A number don't even think we should try, and a 501c3 is
11 > hard enough to get approved if you have a professional board all
12 > towing the party line. If you get people making public statements
13 > like we ought to be a trade association (which is non-exempt) it would
14 > be even harder.
17 This is not true. A 501c3 is not some mysterious unicorn that no one can obtain.
18 Plenty of organizations gain tax-exempt status with the IRS by simply filing and
19 following the law. We will be just fine if we decide to maintain a 501c3.
20
21 > However, I imagine most CPAs would charge more for a tax-exempt org as
22 > there is MUCH more scrutiny on their operations. I'd also argue that
23 > we would need to be spending more on compliance in general or
24 > consulting ad-hoc with professionals to not run afoul of the law.
27 No, not true either.
30 Cheers,
31 Aaron