From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: Square Bottle <squarebottle@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Re: Daniel Robbins Controversy Unfairly Reported in GMN
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 08:19:13
1 Square Bottle wrote:
2 > [Responding to two different people in one posting to keep the number
3 > of emails down.]
4 >
5 > On Jan 20, 2008 8:56 PM, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
6 >> a few things:
7 >> - fix your top posting (in other words, stop doing it)
8 >
9 > It was an entirely new topic actually.
10
11 Please check this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-posting
12
13 >> - dont hijack existing threads
14 >
15 > Again, it was an entirely new topic. You surely noticed that it had a
16 > brand new subject and everything. I accidentally left a different
17 > quote at the bottom because I used a different email to quickly set it
18 > up to send to the list, but this should have been the very last thing
19 > for you to see anyway.
20
21 If you press reply on an email the client will leave a tag to keep the
22 threads in shape with annoying results you may not expect. Next time
23 please try to write a brand new email.
24
25 > They chose to use some opinion posts from developers to summarize the
26 > debate, but only ended up giving one side of the story.
27
28 There aren't other sides on planet gentoo apparently.
29
30 > I don't really
31 > know how you can say there was no attempt to summarize it, because
32 > clearly something was meant to be reported, or else it would not have
33 > made it into GMN which is itself supposed to summarize what's going on
34 > in the big world of Gentoo.
35
36 The planet gentoo summary is just that ^^;
37
38 > Then the editor probably should have reconsidered how to deliver the
39 > information. Also, I sort of doubt that there aren't any gentoo
40 > developers at all on the other side. In any case, like I originally
41 > said, it's entirely possibly that it was just an unintentional
42 > mistake. But it still happened.
43
44 There is no mistake. The post were those and those were itemized.
48 >> at any rate, the general opinion was reflected in the
49 >> aforementioned blog posts.
50 >
51 > Actually, no, the general opinion not only wasn't reflected, but it
52 > wasn't even talked about, which is a big part of why I was upset. The
53 > general opinion is that Daniel coming back would be a good thing, as
54 > evidenced by the overwhelming majority of people that voted in favor
55 > of him coming back.
56
57 The general Gentoo Planet opinion seems to be against the Daniel
58 proposal since it is too broad, since his past attempts to rejoin Gentoo
59 and the resulting fallout and other details you can read in the tsunam post.
60
61 > Perhaps among developers the percentage is
62 > different (it sure seems like the developers have the opposite opinion
63 > of the community at large), but we don't know for sure exactly how it
64 > breaks down. The fact of the matter is that there are two sides, and
65 > one side has a very clear majority of support from the general
66 > community, and this side was not at all represented. If you are going
67 > to post opinion pieces from one side, you must post opinion pieces
68 > from the other side. Part of being a reporter is going out and getting
69 > quotes to represent all sides when trying to tell the news.
70
71 You should check about "vocal minority" and "artificial consensus
72 inflation"
73
74 > No, but it's loads better than leaving the other side out completely
75 > at least.
76
77 >From what I could see so far I'm afraid too many people got misguided to
78 frenzy, fail to grasp what is exactly going on and spend most time
79 hindering the process by resonating on mailing lists.
80
81 Again :
82 - THE WORLD ISN'T ENDING TODAY or REAL SOON (TM)
83
84 lu
88 Luca Barbato
89 Gentoo Council Member