From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] How to raise money for Gentoo
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 10:57:48
1 On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 6:06 AM, Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > The trustees have touched on the idea of fund raisers for specific
4 > individual well defined and bounded projects but so far, its not been
5 > required. That may well happen one day but it won't involve random
6 > advertising.
9 Agreed. There is the general spirit-of-the-project issue about
10 putting ads on the site, and then there is the practical matter of
11 whether it just cheapens the whole thing, especially for our sponsors.
12 The fact is that quite a lot of what we depend on is sponsored in
13 some way, and my sense has been that they don't do it just for the
14 listing on the sponsor page. Right now that page is more of a place
15 of honor, not just another page full of ads.
16
17 All that said, if anybody wants to suggest ways we could be spending
18 money to make Gentoo a better place by all means chime in. I mused
19 some on the topic on my blog. The challenge is that we're a pretty
20 strong organization, but not so strong that we can afford to just
21 throw money at problems. We definitely need to pick and choose, but
22 I've found that dedicated volunteers are in much shorter supply than
23 money. If somebody really wants to spend time doing something for
24 Gentoo, and they're finding that money is somehow a barrier to getting
25 it done, then they should definitely be contacting the Foundation.
26
27 Rich