From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] How to improve the trustees
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 19:01:06
1 On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 10:24 -0800, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > OK, I'm starting a new thread here to try to discuss some things the
3 > trustees can do to improve both visibility and also attempt to
4 > ensure/promote progress within the Foundation. Please chime in with
5 > your own ideas.
6 >
7 > - Regular meetings - The trustees should have a regular monthly meeting
8 > to discuss progress, preferably the first week of the month (for GMN).
9 >
10 > - Regular GMN section - I think that both the Council and the trustees
11 > should have a section each for summaries of their latest meetings. This
12 > should relay information about what is happening to the developer pool
13 > and the community, in general.
14 >
15 > - Named positions - I also think that specifically putting certain
16 > people into certain positions would possibly improve getting things
17 > done. For each position, there should be an alternate, so that we don't
18 > end up relying on a single person. This also breaks up the
19 > responsibilities a bit so that the trustees and the community know what
20 > responsibilities that each person should be working. Positions that I
21 > see that could/should be filled: President, Secretary, Treasurer
22 >
23 > Those are my initial ideas. Comments?
24
25 +1 to all
26
27 Also I think that possibly the trustees should do more personnel and
28 drama management. Which presently falls under the council, but doesn't
29 seem technical in nature. But that could potentially be controversial,
30 and not likely to be one of the first actions.
31
32 One of the first actions I would like to see. Which I will mention when
33 I write a formal agenda for my plans in office if elected. Is to
34 transfer financial and legal matters to the SPI, pending a vote on the
35 matter. Verses doing it in house.
36
37 If that happened, we would still need named positions. As in one person,
38 with a backup to be the liaison between Gentoo and the SPI. Along with
39 other defined/named roles for a re-focused board of trustees. With the
40 main weight of financial and legal obligations and responsibilities
41 removed.
42
43 Focusing then on fund raising, relations, bolstering the community, etc.
44 All of the things that don't fall under the realm of the council. Which
45 as stated above, some things might need transfer of responsibility from
46 council to foundation. For non technical things, and things the council
47 would rather not deal with nor should have to.
51 William L. Thomson Jr.
52 Gentoo/amd64/Java