From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] How to improve the trustees
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 19:01:06
On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 10:24 -0800, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
> OK, I'm starting a new thread here to try to discuss some things the > trustees can do to improve both visibility and also attempt to > ensure/promote progress within the Foundation. Please chime in with > your own ideas. > > - Regular meetings - The trustees should have a regular monthly meeting > to discuss progress, preferably the first week of the month (for GMN). > > - Regular GMN section - I think that both the Council and the trustees > should have a section each for summaries of their latest meetings. This > should relay information about what is happening to the developer pool > and the community, in general. > > - Named positions - I also think that specifically putting certain > people into certain positions would possibly improve getting things > done. For each position, there should be an alternate, so that we don't > end up relying on a single person. This also breaks up the > responsibilities a bit so that the trustees and the community know what > responsibilities that each person should be working. Positions that I > see that could/should be filled: President, Secretary, Treasurer > > Those are my initial ideas. Comments?
+1 to all Also I think that possibly the trustees should do more personnel and drama management. Which presently falls under the council, but doesn't seem technical in nature. But that could potentially be controversial, and not likely to be one of the first actions. One of the first actions I would like to see. Which I will mention when I write a formal agenda for my plans in office if elected. Is to transfer financial and legal matters to the SPI, pending a vote on the matter. Verses doing it in house. If that happened, we would still need named positions. As in one person, with a backup to be the liaison between Gentoo and the SPI. Along with other defined/named roles for a re-focused board of trustees. With the main weight of financial and legal obligations and responsibilities removed. Focusing then on fund raising, relations, bolstering the community, etc. All of the things that don't fall under the realm of the council. Which as stated above, some things might need transfer of responsibility from council to foundation. For non technical things, and things the council would rather not deal with nor should have to. -- William L. Thomson Jr. Gentoo/amd64/Java

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-nfp] How to improve the trustees Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
Re: [gentoo-nfp] How to improve the trustees Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>