From: Corey Shields <cshields@×××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Summary of NFP options
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 01:04:39

The original purpose of the NFP organization, as I understand it, is to
protect Gentoo from becoming a corporate entity.  That is it.  People were
afraid of someone running away and making money off of their contributions.
And I think that the corporate-protective NFP is what the development
community wants.  The purpose right now should not be to make money or try
and support x number of developers financially, as (almost) everyone is
working happily within their own capacities right now.  Development should
continue as it has been, because while there are quirks and problems, as a
whole it works, or else we wouldn't have such a kick ass distribution.

Keep the focus on protecting Gentoo from corporate ties.   Let the developers
continue to do their work the way they are currently doing it.  I know there
is a concern about lack of QA and R&D, but as Gentoo gains popularity and
more people (and organizations) jump on board, there will be resources to
fill those roles just as there have been resources to create ebuilds.

Basically, I think that the corporate ties issue should be solved first.  The
resource issue is new and needs to be tackled later, as the NFP has been in
limbo too long..

- -Corey