From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Gentoo Foundation Trustees nominations
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2017 05:27:55
1 On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 02:56:41PM +0300, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
2 > I'm afraid in case of the trustee position the desire to fix stuff
3 > is not sufficient. If I understand correctly, trustee's work
4 > involves a lot of legal and financial issues. And here we have some
5 > legal and political limitations.
6 >
7 > 1. The US social security number. To my understanding it is
8 > required to deal with financial and accounting smoothly. I don't
9 > have one and without it the ways I can help will be very limited.
10 I'll clarify Bircoph's point here, as the present treasurer:
11 - The IRS requires the filer to have a SSN or a Individual Taxpayer
12 Identification Number [ITIN]. The filer doesn't have to be a trustee,
13 but it helps a lot; if the filer isn't a trustee, then a trustee must
14 sign in addition to the filer (eg a CPA or lawyer can be the filer).
15 - The present US bank, Capital One, refuses to have me as an authorized
16 signer or owner on the account, even if I were to have an ITIN (the
17 non-resident equivilent of the US social security number [SSN]). They
18 will allow only persons with a US resident status (e.g. US citizen, or
19 otherwise able to legally reside in the US).
20
21 This has NOT stopped me from being the treasurer, but does stop me from
22 being listed with the bank, or filing the IRS paperwork on my own.
23
24 I do want to see if I can find an international bank that will improve
25 the banking problem, because if the present 3 nominees do take office,
26 that leaves only two US residents to handle the bank side.
29 Robin Hugh Johnson
30 Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Trustee & Treasurer
31 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
32 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
33 GnuPG FP : 7D0B3CEB E9B85B1F 825BCECF EE05E6F6 A48F6136