From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [gentoo-nfp] Foundation meeting agenda for April 2018 - update1
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2018 18:45:31
1 On 18-04-16 11:05:33, Daniel Robbins wrote:
2 > On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 10:42 AM, Daniel Robbins <drobbins@××××××.org>
3 > wrote:
6 > > Will no longer be replying to this thread, if I can help it.
9 > OK, I am going to post one more reply. Here's my opinion on the whole ban
10 > situation.
11 >
12 > This is the gentoo-nfp list, which is on Foundation infrastructure, and is
13 > supposed to allow discussion related to the Foundation. ComRel is not an
14 > entity that is accountable to the Foundation, and by banning me on this
15 > list, you are infringing my right as a Foundation member to offer feedback
16 > related to the direction of Gentoo Foundation. This is particularly
17 > egregious as I am the founding member of the Foundation, and the project
18 > that it oversees, and clearly my opinion holds some value, whether you
19 > agree with it or not.
20 >
21 > Therefore, I will consider any further action against me on this list, to
22 > silence me or otherwise prevent me from expressing my views, as a violation
23 > of my rights as a Foundation member and I would consider that as something
24 > that I could pursue legally. One of the downsides of ComRel having no
25 > accountability or tie to the Foundation is you really have no authority to
26 > enforce any bans here. The CoC is not part of the Foundation's bylaws.
27 >
28 > I am going to extend this to wltjr. Whatever you think of him, he is a
29 > former trustee. His opinions and posts are important due to his experience
30 > leading the Foundation in the past, and whatever you think of him
31 > personally, he does care about Gentoo and has a successful track record as
32 > a trustee. Therefore, I consider his ban to be inappropriate and frankly
33 > disruptive to further improvements of the Foundation. If you don't like
34 > something or other that he did in the past, then you will need to treat
35 > that as a completely separate issue, and you can deal with that however you
36 > want as long as it is addressed solely within your scope of influence,
37 > which is "gentoo developer land."
38 >
39 > I would also add that any Foundation members should not be banned on this
40 > list. Really, any gentoo list or infrastructure -- but this list in
41 > particular. However, you are free to enforce the CoC on GENTOO DEVELOPERS,
42 > over whom the CoC has jurisdiction.
45 First IANAL.
46
47 The rights of foundation members are not as much as you seem to think.
48
49 It basically says that you have to be able to vote. (see section 3.10 of
50 the bylaws). At the moment, voting by all members is only scheduled for
51 the election of trustees. In that case you can submit your vote via
52 email to the trustees alias.
53
54 Notice of the meeting is primarilly done via the topic in the trustees
55 irc channel. The nfp and project mailings are secondary and informitive
56 only. Even then, you can still access the lists in read only mode.
57
58 While I could not find refrence to the ability to submit meeting topics,
59 I also could not find where it states the Trustees / Foundation must
60 take up those topics. In any case you are still able to submit the
61 topics via email to the trustees alias (as can be seen from the items I
62 added that don't have coresponding nfp mail list links).
63
64 Finally, as to wltjr's ban. At the moment he is not a member and has no
65 'rights'. Further, even if he was a member, given the above, his bans
66 would not affect his ability to vote.
69 Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)