From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] List of items to be addressed by audit
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 19:32:25
1 On 2011.03.29 19:38, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
2 > Roy,
3 >
4 > On Tue, 2011-03-29 at 19:02 +0100, Roy Bamford wrote:
5 > >
6 > > William,
7 > >
8 > > I will patiently away the outcome ... is a key phrase in your
9 > post.
10 > > Nothing will start by way of an audit until we have elected a new
11 > > Treasurer and he or she is comfortable in the role.
12 >
13 [snip]
14 > --
15 > William L. Thomson Jr.
16 > Obsidian-Studios, Inc.
17 > http://www.obsidian-studios.com
21 William,
22
23 Matthew, is both our Secretary and Treasurer for the time being. We are
24 all acutely aware that he is our sole cheque signatory, thus a single
25 point of failure until he divests himself of one of those roles.
26 None of us want to repeat the issues we had with recovering our funds
27 again.
28
29 I whole heartedly agree about the need to separate the trustees and
30 officers roles. We are where we are ... and need to plan on how to get
31 to where we need to be. Just doing it, to the neglect of other things,
32 is not the way forward. The audit is important but its not the only
33 thing that is important to the Foundation.
34
35 As the Gentoo Foundation has the same individuals serving as trustees
36 and officers, its a little difficult to separate the two aspects of the
37 election. You are technically correct that the election is for
38 trustees, not officers. However, the election may change the officers
39 too, just because we do not have separate officers and trustees.
40
41 The way the Foundation appoints officers is stated in the bylaws
42 http://www.gentoo.org/foundation/en/BylawsAdopted.xml
43
44 <quote>
45 6. Article VI Officers
46
47 Section 6.1. Officers.
48
49 The officers of the foundation shall consist of a President, a
50 Secretary and a Treasurer, each of whom shall be elected by the Board
51 of Trustees. A Chairman of the Board, one or more Vice Chairmen, one or
52 more Vice Presidents, and such other officers and assistant officers
53 and agents as may be deemed necessary may be elected or appointed by
54 the Board of Trustees from time to time. Any two (2) or more offices
55 may be held by the same person, except the offices of President and
56 Secretary
57 </quote>
58 There is more but that's the key 'how'.
59
60 I don't understand your misconception that there can only be four
61 officers. The bylaws, quoted above, stipulate a minimum of three but
62 there is no maximum.
63
64 I think we will have to agree to differ over the optimum number of
65 trustees. The Foundation started out with 13 and as we all know, that
66 didn't work very well.
67
68 You state that the timing of an audit is 'not acceptable'. I feel I
69 must point out "Section 3.12. Action by Members Without a Meeting." of
70 the bylaws in case you should wish to take further action within the
71 confines of the Gentoo Foundation.
74 Regards,
75
76 Roy Bamford