From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] Upcoming elections
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 18:24:57
1 Stuart Herbert wrote: [Mon Apr 11 2005, 12:39:51PM CDT]
2 > Grant Goodyear wrote:
3 > | We need to start collecting members pretty soon. My suggested
4 > | guidelines for membership are:
5 > |
6 > | 1. Members must be currently active Gentoo developers who have been
7 > | developers for at least a year.
8 >
9 > I'd prefer this to be all developers / documenters / infra monkeys who
10 > have completed their probation period. It seems discriminatory to allow
11 > people to commit to the tree, but to not be eligible for membership of
12 > the Foundation.
13
14 The role of the foundation is to (a) protect Gentoo intellectual
15 property and (b) collect and disburse funds. My thought was that both
16 tasks require a fairly deep understanding of Gentoo which a newly-minted
17 dev probably wouldn't have, but I'm certainly willing to listen to
18 arguments for why I'm wrong.
19
20 > | 2. Members must have requested membership. If you don't want to be
21 > | a member of the foundation, you shouldn't have to be. (Indeed, the
22 > | actual role of the foundation is quite limited.)
23 >
24 > Why not put in place automatic membership for all developers /
25 > documenters / infra monkeys who have completed their probation period?
26
27 Well, right now the proposed bylaws require 1/3 of the members to be
28 present for voting to be valid, meaning over 100 people. I'm
29 a tad worried that it would be very difficult to reach a quorum, and
30 that it would be even more difficult if people who did not necessarily
31 want to be involved in IP and budget issues are automatic members.
32
33 If you have a better solution, I'm certainly interested.
34
35 -g2boojum-
36 --
37 Grant Goodyear
38 Gentoo Developer
39 g2boojum@g.o
40 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
41 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76