From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: "gentoo-project@l.g.o" <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Cc: Gentoo NFP <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] Formally have Council oversee the Foundation 2.0
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2017 21:43:54
1 Hey all,
2
3 I wrote this text up some months ago when Ian Delaney and Roy were making first
4 noises that the Gentoo foundation should be in overall control of the
5 distribution. At that time I didn't know about SPI and umbrella corporations
6 yet. Now, I see an umbrella organization as e.g. SPI as the better choice,
7 since it relieves us from the jobs that noone (not even the trustees) want to
8 do.
9
10 Mostly I am sending this text (slightly edited) now out as alternative
11 proposal for the unfortunate case when (for whatever reason) working with an
12 umbrella organization such as SPI were not possible.
13
14 I've shown the text to a few people in the meantime, so don't be surprised if
15 it has text overlap with other e-mails or reorganization proposals.
16
17 Cheers, Andreas
18
19 ------------
20
21 Motivation: In recent vivid debates the Gentoo metastructure and the
22 responsibilities of its organs have been called into question by a vocal
23 minority. Compared with how the distribution has been running over the last
24 years, most of the proposals aim to adapt reality to organizational
25 structures. This proposal instead aims - in a very similar way as Michael's
26 SPI proposal - to adapt organizational structures to reality.
27
28 Letters [z] are textual footnotes, numbers [9] point to web links as source
29 material.
30
31 Proposal: [a]
32 The Gentoo Foundation bylaws are amended such that:
33 * Gentoo Foundation trustee positions are appointed by the elected Gentoo
34 Council via majority vote, for a fixed term. Each appointed person has to be
35 confirmed by a yes/no vote of the Foundation members. A non-quorate member vote
36 (less than 1/3 member participation) counts as confirmation.
37 * The Gentoo Council acts as independent, voter-appointed review and oversight
38 body for the Gentoo Foundation and has full access to Gentoo Foundation data.
39 It can require regular status updates from Gentoo Foundation trustees and
40 officers.
41 * The Gentoo Council can dismiss Gentoo Foundation trustees before their term
42 runs out by unanimous vote of Gentoo Council members.
43
44 Implementation:
45 While changing the role of the Gentoo Council requires changes to GLEP 39 and
46 thereby a vote of all developers, the above changes to the Gentoo Foundation
47 bylaws can be implemented by the trustees alone. So, in principle this change
48 could be done during the next Gentoo Foundation trustee meeting and be
49 immediately in effect.
50
51 Rationale (the long part): [b]
52
53 A] Philosophy – should the „suits“ lead?
54 The main purpose of the Gentoo Foundation is to administrate Gentoo finances
55 and protect Gentoo intellectual property. We are talking about two important
56 tasks here that require high dedication and are central to the daily
57 functioning of Gentoo. However, Gentoo is not a corporation, but an open
58 source initiative by volunteers. Most people investing time into Gentoo as
59 developers [c] are focussing on the technical aspect, and a community without
60 code is worthless in our context. I am aware that current trustees are
61 investing also much time and effort into technical aspects of Gentoo. However,
62 having people direct the course of the distribution due to occupying a non-
63 technical, finance and administrative *role* means having the tail wag the dog.
64 If anything, in a community-driven, non commercial Linux distribution
65 administration should follow technical requirements.
66
67 B] Practicality – the two-headed snake
68 The separation of tasks and responsibilities between Gentoo Council and the
69 Gentoo Foundation trustees has worked out fine for years. Any one-sided attempt
70 to change the balance, however, easily provides cause for conflict and endless
71 bikeshedding. This not only binds efforts and slows down decision processes,
72 but also makes Gentoo as a whole vulnerable to outside manipulation. By
73 playing the Gentoo Foundation trustees against the Gentoo Council or vice
74 versa, and searching supporters whereever it just suits, third parties can
75 induce friction and attempt to work around established procedures.
76
77 C] Mandate – manifestos and voter perception
78 Given the background of the previous years and the election manifestos of the
79 two 2016 elected Gentoo Foundation trustees [1,2] I see no voter intent to
80 extend the powers of the Gentoo Foundation trustees into topics previously
81 handled by the Gentoo Council. Conversely, manifestos of the 2016 elected
82 Gentoo Council members cover a very wide range of topics [3,4,5,6,7,8], in
83 particular including also community oversight and public relations.
84
85 D] Oversight – past inactivity of the trustees to protect Gentoo assets
86 As already stated above, the current role of the Gentoo Foundation and its
87 trustees is very important for the daily running of Gentoo – without it there
88 would be no infrastructure, no funds for equipment, and so on. However, past
89 events (failing to renew corporate registration, failing to submit tax filings,
90 the treasurer disappearing for many months without anyone panicking, an
91 apparent 5-digit mismatch in finances) do not really recommend the Gentoo
92 Foundation as top level oversight body. On the contrary, a compliance board
93 (as in this proposal the Gentoo Council) should be instated which is able to
94 oversee and take corrective action.
95
96 E] Legalese – formal legitimization of the current trustee election
97 The current method of electing the Gentoo Foundation trustees is legally
98 shaky. I have no doubts that the election process fairly expresses the wishes
99 of the voters. However, it leads to a rather strange conundrum in the Gentoo
100 Foundation bylaws: The bylaws require that the Board of Trustees is elected by
101 an annual meeting of the foundation members [Sec. 3.2], which is supposed to
102 normally take place on IRC in the #gentoo-trustees channel [Sec. 3.1]. A
103 meeting requires a quorum of 1/3 of the members entitled to vote, „represented
104 in person“ [Sec. 3.9]. If this is taken verbatim, none of the trustees of the
105 past years would have been elected; I can't remember any meeting where a
106 quorum of foundation *members* would have been present. A completely
107 different, conflicting set of instructions covering the current method and
108 condorcet voting, is set out in a later paragraph [Sec. 5.5].
109
110 ---------
113 [a] In case this is not legally possible for a New Mexico nonprofit, a re-
114 incorporation in a different legal system (e.g., EU, where many Gentoo
115 developers now reside) should be pursued.
116
117 [b] I have taken the liberty to freely use arguments here which have
118 originally been posted by, e.g., rich0 or neddyseagoon. Nevertheless, opinions
119 expressed here are mine and should not be construed as a Gentoo Council or
120 ComRel team statement.
121
122 [c] A developer is a person who has passed the recruitment process and has a
123 @gentoo.org e-mail address. This is independent of push access to the main
124 Gentoo ebuild repository.
125
126 [1] http://dev.gentoo.org/~dabbott/manifest.html