From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Next meeting; a motion to have 1 type of Gentoo member.
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2016 12:26:31
1 On Mon, Nov 7, 2016 at 6:54 AM, Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 11/07/2016 12:50 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> I think that is important to keep the group of people voting for
4 >> Council/Trustees the same as much as possible. Otherwise you're going
5 >> to get even more reluctance for the two bodies to work together.
6 >
7 > Right, which would be done by requiring all foundation members to be
8 > developers.
9
10 Developers, contributors, users. Whatever you want to call it. As
11 long as they go through the current non-committer recruitment process
12 I don't think the name matters a great deal as long as we're
13 consistent. They should still be subject to all the same community
14 standards (staff quiz, CoC, Comrel, etc).
15
16 > The drawback of that is that it removes possibility of things like
17 > "sponsor"-level membership (which could be a non-voting membership class
18 > if bylaws are changed to accomodate it) but allow for corporate
19 > sponsorships in a structured manner if that is necessary on a
20 > subscription basis. So far it seems like there hasn't been much need for
21 > this, though.
22
23 Well, such things don't exist today, but if there were ever a need it
24 could still be bolted on. As long as this is non-voting I don't think
25 it really creates any issues on this particular issue. No doubt there
26 are going to be lots of opinions on what it means to be a sponsor and
27 so on, but I think that's a different debate.
28
29 I think the goal is to align the voting pools for Council/Trustees and
30 have just one set of community standards for everybody, and I think
31 that makes sense.
34 Rich